Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
cover

Default Aging Wood (intentionally)

I was on the set of "Heaven's Gate" several years ago and was in ahh
over how they'd taken all of this new wood construction of an old west
town and aged it to perfection where the carpentry all appeared to be
many years old.

Flashing forward to the present - So when replacing fence boards, is
anyone familiar with any staining or painting secrets to help 'age'
those new boards and make them appear similar to the rest of the
fence?

I've had other applications over the years where I've wondered about
that but have the recent issue at hand of wanting those new boards to
appear somewhat like the rest of the fence. TIA
Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Try a 50/50 mix of Cabots grey stain and Cabots bleaching oil or stain
( I don't recall exact name). I've used it to reduce the difference
between shaded and unshaded siding with excellent results.
TB

Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:01:12 -0700, cover
wrote:

I was on the set of "Heaven's Gate" several years ago and was in ahh
over how they'd taken all of this new wood construction of an old west
town and aged it to perfection where the carpentry all appeared to be
many years old.

Flashing forward to the present - So when replacing fence boards, is
anyone familiar with any staining or painting secrets to help 'age'
those new boards and make them appear similar to the rest of the
fence?

I've had other applications over the years where I've wondered about
that but have the recent issue at hand of wanting those new boards to
appear somewhat like the rest of the fence. TIA

I dunno about pine, but I'm told that tenting the wood under
a plastic tarp and boiling a teapot of ammonia will silver
up oak right quick. (Don't breath the fumes).

Old 05-04-2006, 05:51 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"cover" wrote in message

Flashing forward to the present - So when replacing fence boards, is
anyone familiar with any staining or painting secrets to help 'age'
those new boards and make them appear similar to the rest of the
fence?

Is it possible to move the new boards into a less noticeable
place and putting the 'misplaced' weathered boards into the
new locations? i.e., avoid the checkered look?

lee h

FAST Aging Orchid Fert??? GARLAND HANSON Orchids 5 21-03-2005 07:48 AM
Aging manure Stuart Pedazzo Edible Gardening 2 08-03-2005 10:58 AM
aging wood chips billQ Gardening 2 30-06-2004 12:03 AM
Way Off Topic: Evolutionary substrate of aging Dennis G. sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:24 PM
Funding-Reversing Aging Changes in Human Hair Follicles NineSigma M:X Managed Exchange Plant Biology 0 04-04-2003 11:44 PM