Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Jonathan Race

Default Lawn Tractor Suggestions

Greetings!

I have a question for anyone who has been looking around for a new lawn
tractor.

Currently I own two acres, of which about 1.5 acres is mowable grass (bahia,
I live in central Florida). Recently my Murray lawn tractor's automatic
transmission decided to start leaking, and since it's a non-rebuildable
sealed unit the local repair shop wants $650.00 plus labor to install a new
unit. The mower is only three years old, but is unfortunately out of
waranty.

I have found a way to keep it filled, but I know the problem will only get
worse before it gets better. The new transmission is a heavier unit and is
also repairable, but for the money I'm starting to think I should be looking
for a new tractor.

My question is this: Knowing how much mowing I have to do (1.5 acres mowed
weekly), what lawn tractor would give me the best service and is reasonably
repairable for a max budget of $1800.00?

I've done a little looking online, but most of what is posted is advertising
and it's hard to tell what features I would need based on a manufacturer's
internet site. My current unit has 17hp and a 42" mower deck and seems to
be about the right size.

Thanks for any opinions or advice - Jonathan

--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor

Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
JJ

Check out the John Deere L100 and L110 (or maybe even L120) models. These
can be found at Deere dealers and also at Home Depot. Deere dealers service
them, even if bought at Home Depot (although the dealer will like you more
if you buy from the them).

http://www.deere.com/en_US/100series/

Without starting a tractor war, my advice would be to stay away from MTD
stuff (Yard Machines, Troy Bilt at Loews, low end Cub Cadets, Huskee, etc.).

rthlink.net...

Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Tim Fischer

"JJ" wrote in message
Without starting a tractor war, my advice would be to stay away from MTD
stuff (Yard Machines, Troy Bilt at Loews, low end Cub Cadets, Huskee,

etc.).

Agree completely. I'd suggest buying a higher-end Deere than the ones at
HD, but any Deere is better than MTD by a moonshot.

Look in the archives. You'll find many people who've had problems with MTD
and Craftsman and the other cheap brands. You'll also find a few who swear
they've ran their MTD/Crapsman 30 years and it's still going. I believe, as
you've found out, that this is the exception -- I had a Crapsman die after 2
seasons of use, and you got 3 out of your MTD. I think that's the norm.

-Tim

Old 08-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Dave W

If I was buying one today, it would be a John Deere. I had one for 12 years
before it was stolen and never replaced any thing but a couple of belts. I
foolishly replaced it with a front engine Snapper. What a piece of junk!
Problems all the time. If I ever buy another one it will be another John
Deere.
Dave

Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 AM
JJ

I would have suggested a higher-end Deere also (I have an LX277), but the
original poster's budget was $1800 - you are not going to get a new
higher-end Deere for that. You may not even get a used one for that.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Chip G.

In article , JJ
wrote:

I would have suggested a higher-end Deere also (I have an LX277), but the
original poster's budget was $1800 - you are not going to get a new
higher-end Deere for that. You may not even get a used one for that.

I just purchased an LX288 and would agree with your recommendation.
It's well worth the larger budget if one can swing it.

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Christopher

I bought a John Deere L110 about a month ago at Home Depot. I only
have four hours on it so far so I can't tell you how long it will
last, but comparing it to the lower end riding mowers HD had on the
floor, this was obviously a better machine if you were willing to pay
the money for it.

As previous posts have mentioned, a high end John Deere from a dealer
is probably built tougher, but for mowing just under an acre I expect
to get plenty of years out of it.

FYI, I had been mowing this yard for the last two years with a non
self propelled 20" push mower, (Craftsman w/ 4hp B&S, 7 years old,
never any problems) so needless to say, I really enjoy my JD L110.

A friend of mine also bought a JD L110 at about the same time I did.
He's been cutting a few extra yards on his street to help pay for the
new toy. This guy probably has about 10 hours on his, and is usually
tougher on machinery than I am. So far he hasn't had any trouble with
his either.

Christopher

Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 PM

I have almost 2 acres, and bought a new JD LT166 the same time I moved
here.

I've regretted it ever since. 15" turning radius sounded small at the
time, but I spend hours backing up or doing loops.

I'm trading it in on a Dixon 4515 zero-turn.

I know someone who bought an older Dixon for $1500, and she mows lawns
for money. She runs that thing at least 25 hours/week, and has not
had a problem with it in the two years she's had it.

So anyway, my point is, for the size lawn you have, maybe investigate
used zero-turn mowers. I chickened out last year, because I was
looking at expensive mowers (Grasshopper, Lazer Z, Walker), but the
Dixon is priced more realistically for me ($4120 - trade-in).

Old 11-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
I have almost 2 acres, and bought a new JD LT166 the same time I moved
here.

I've regretted it ever since. 15" turning radius sounded small at the
time, but I spend hours backing up or doing loops.

I'm trading it in on a Dixon 4515 zero-turn.

I know someone who bought an older Dixon for $1500, and she mows lawns
for money. She runs that thing at least 25 hours/week, and has not
had a problem with it in the two years she's had it.

So anyway, my point is, for the size lawn you have, maybe investigate
used zero-turn mowers. I chickened out last year, because I was
looking at expensive mowers (Grasshopper, Lazer Z, Walker), but the
Dixon is priced more realistically for me ($4120 - trade-in).

Check out the JD SST zero-turn series. I bought one last year and wouldn't
trade it for anything. Unlike most zero's, this one uses a standard
steering wheel so it operates very easily.

Paid approx $3800 for it brand new.

-Tim

Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Ron B

On 07/04/03 20:49, in article _Erka.362248$F1.57556@sccrnsc04, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:07/04/03 20:49

"JJ" wrote in message
Without starting a tractor war, my advice would be to stay away from MTD
stuff (Yard Machines, Troy Bilt at Loews, low end Cub Cadets, Huskee,

etc.).

Agree completely. I'd suggest buying a higher-end Deere than the ones at
HD, but any Deere is better than MTD by a moonshot.

Look in the archives. You'll find many people who've had problems with MTD
and Craftsman and the other cheap brands. You'll also find a few who swear
they've ran their MTD/Crapsman 30 years and it's still going. I believe, as
you've found out, that this is the exception -- I had a Crapsman die after 2
seasons of use, and you got 3 out of your MTD. I think that's the norm.

-Tim

If you want a Garden Tractor able to take some abuse, get a 3000 series Cub
Cadet. Anything less in the Cub lineup is wasted money IMHO...

I have a 3235 Cub and love the solid build and it's sturdy maintenance
features. I love the ability to drain the transaxle in addition to a
filter to boot!

Other models offer sealed units that must mean that they last as long as the
replacement is needed...

You get what you pay for IMHO...

Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Ed

http://tinylink.com/?RiMEQB3PLz
This is my mower. I've had LawnBoy ($2,500) and I like this one a lot
more. Comes with a parts manual so you can get anything you need. Great
machine, plenty of power, 1.2 acres to mow. I really like this one.

Old 14-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Tim Fischer

"Ed" wrote in message
http://tinylink.com/?RiMEQB3PLz
This is my mower. I've had LawnBoy ($2,500) and I like this one a lot
more. Comes with a parts manual so you can get anything you need. Great
machine, plenty of power, 1.2 acres to mow. I really like this one.

Good luck with your Sears Crapsman, er. *Craftsman* mower. Please report
back in 3 years and let us know how it's doing, or if it's in the junk-heap
yet.

-Tim

Old 14-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Stephen Kurzban

Buying used instead of new might be worth considering.

I have about 10 hours maintenance in an 11 hp 1984 model MTD
and it seems a lot better built than what is being
manufactured now. All the parts seem to be still available
and with less than $70 invested in parts (doing it myself
with a carburetor kit left to buy and install), I believe
this unit may outlast many of the new ones selling today.

Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:14:14 GMT, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

Good luck with your Sears Crapsman, er. *Craftsman* mower.

Yeah...my neighbor cheaped out and bought a Craftsman last year.
Within 2 weeks the transmission crapped out, and he actually had to
fight Sears to get them to stand behind it.

Finally, he had a relative fix it, because Sears was giving him
problems.