Old 08-04-2006, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Default To Bag- or not to bag?

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
There you are again, with the "clippings are thatch". Again, that's not
what I said. I explained how they can *contribute* to thatch, in my reply

Clippings do not contribute to thatch any more than snowfall contributes
to a pile of dirt.

--
Art

Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Artemis said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
There you are again, with the "clippings are thatch". Again, that's not
what I said. I explained how they can *contribute* to thatch, in my reply

Clippings do not contribute to thatch any more than snowfall contributes
to a pile of dirt.

Of course they do.

Thatch is the layer of undecomposed and partially decomposed plant
material, tightly interwoven with living tissue between the soil surface
and the green vegetation. This is *including*, but not limited to,
clippings. If lawns are mowed regularly, so that no more than 1/3 of the
leaf height is removed each time, there's no need to bag.

That was my only point. If you feel that's incorrect, that's totally on
you, but you would be the one that was wrong. There are more factors to
consider than just the desire to bag or not.

Never fear, I'll waste no more of my time trying to convince you what
contributes to thatch. You obviously don't understand, or can't comprehend
it.

--
Eggs

Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Jos. Wheeler said:

"Jos. Wheeler" joe@csa wrote in message
I've got a well established 31 tall fescue lawn growing in Atlanta's hot
clay soil (nicest one in the neighborhood, actually). I've always used the
grass catcher on my mower but I'm getting tired of emptying the bag all
the time.

If I just let the clippings spray out onto the lawn, would I get thatch
build-up--- or would the clipping just disintegrate? And how bad is thatch
anyhow?

Jos.

Thanks for the suggestions-- and the humorous tit for tat...

Take about a two-inch deep plug out of your turf and examine the thatch
layer. If it's only about 1/2" thick, you'll be fine with regular, proper
mowing. My apologies if my choice of wording steered you wrong. There
really is no simple, absolute answer. There are a number of variables to be
considered.

HTH HAND
--
Eggs

Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

do you have a degree in horticulture?
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
news
Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

Clippings aren't thatch. Thatch is part of your growing grass plants,
so no, you're not bagging won't really contribute to your thatch layer.

Sorry, but the above statement is only partially correct. While it's
true
that "clippings aren't thatch", it is untrue that they won't contribute
to the thatch layer.

Just curious as to your background in turf grass management, if you
don't
mind providing that information. Please don't take that as any type of
flame. I really am only curious.

I take care of my grass.

Ahh. That must make you an expert, then.

You're so smart about grass, show me where grass clippings are thatch,

There you are again, with the "clippings are thatch". Again, that's not
what I said. I explained how they can *contribute* to thatch, in my reply
to plug, as well as in my reply to the OP. You, as you've done before,
conveniently snipped that part of my reply. If you want to play little
Usenet games by snipping all but the part of your reply that will fit your
argument, I've no time for that.

and then tell me your qualifications.

I'm currently a Horticulturist at a private country club, and working
towards a degree in Grounds Management. Doesn't make me an expert, nope.
Never claimed that it did. But, I'll stand by my claims as *I've* made
them, not as *you've* snipped and altered them.

--
Eggs

-Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than standing in a
garage makes you a car.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

Jos

From UC Davis

http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR...IN/thatch.html
Thatch is the layer of living and dead stems, roots, stolons, and rhizomes
between the green blades of grass and the soil surface. A thin layer of
thatch (less than 1/2 inch thick) can be beneficial to the lawn because it
helps to limit weed germination, reduce water evaporation, and protect from
frost damage. However, thick thatch layers can prevent water, air, and
nutrients from penetrating the soil, causing reduced root growth and
increased potential for drought stress. Thatch also favors fungal growth and
can harbor insect pests. Some turfgrass species, such as tall fescue and
perennial ryegrass, do not produce much thatch. Other turfgrass species,
such as bermudagrass, bentgrass, and Kentucky bluegrass, have creeping
growth habits and rapidly build thick thatch layers.

Tips for preventing thatch build up
Follow proper fertilization practices; avoid excessive amounts of nitrogen.
Avoid frequent and shallow irrigation on established lawns.
Mow properly; remove clippings if too much of the grass is removed at one
time. (should never remove more than 1/3 of the length at a time)

The UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/

Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

If you really think this question is difficult, no wonder you need a degree
in another field. Thatch is not a difficult subject

Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Nicole said:

do you have a degree in horticulture?

In about three weeks, yup. =)

--
Eggs

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

here in CA, there's a big difference between horticulture and grounds
management. in fact, grounds management for golf courses is a vocational
certificate.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Nicole said:

here in CA, there's a big difference between horticulture and grounds
management. in fact, grounds management for golf courses is a vocational
certificate.

Big difference here, too. But, most Supers that I've worked for had degrees
from major universities, in their field.

Most of the guys on the grounds crew work just that; the course itself, and
aren't really interested in horticulture. Horticulture is totally separate,
but both are still under the Superintendant. About the only time we
actually cross jobs, is if there's a large sodding project or renovation,
I'll give them a hand. And, when it comes time to cut down the ornamental
grasses strewn all over the course, they'll give me a hand (with the full
crew, including seasonal staff, this can take almost two full weeks). I
think I get the good end of that deal, heh. Of course, after this season's
severe storms (I'm near St. Louis, Mo), we've all spent the majority of our
time with the mundane task of limb and other debris removal. :/

I'm definately ready for some more stable weather.

--
Eggs

Do cemetery workers prefer the graveyard shift?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Garden Viking

Jeez.... Dude, I bag every 4th cut to prevent this type of argument. Also I
use the clippings in my veggie garden for the nitro. But I start in the
middle of my yard and side discharge towards outbound and get wider and
wider, blowing to the outer edge. When I get to where I am blowing the
clippings ( or leaves in the fall) past the end, I then put on the bag, and
I only have to empty the bag a few times, and I'm back inside reading the
stupid comments in here....

To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM
anyone need a bag of Buffalo grass seed? *GONE* Dave-tx Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
anyone need a bag of Buffalo grass seed? Dave-tx Texas 1 27-02-2003 03:18 PM
Forgotten bag of daff bulbs Liz United Kingdom 3 05-01-2003 06:59 PM