Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
The Schmuck

Default resodding my backyard

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me! Bought my house three years ago and the
lawn in the backyard was poorly maintained. My lawn is now half dead
and in the spots where it has survived, it's infested with weeds. I've
had two landscaping companies come and provide estimates so far and
their estimates are as follows:

1. $1800 - remove all sod, dig 4 feet deep, add soil, resod.
2. $1200 - remove all sod, dig 1 foot deep, add soil, resod.

Question I have is, how deep is deep enough? 4 feet seem awfully deep,
like halfway down to the bottom of the foundation.. but is 1 foot
enough? Should I ask the 2nd estimate to dig 2 feet instead at a
slightly higher cost?

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JS

Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JillAdams

3 years ago? if you have weeds and half the lawn is dead you think you
are going to keep new sod healty and green? 3 years is enough time to
get rid of weeds and revive the lawn... get some weed and feed , spread
it on the weeds, lay down some new seed on the dead grass, lay
down some sort of mulch for seed cover, keep it moist and you will be
amazed at what ya see.

Old 13-04-2006, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

The Schmuck wrote:
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me! Bought my house three years ago and the
lawn in the backyard was poorly maintained. My lawn is now half dead
and in the spots where it has survived, it's infested with weeds. I've
had two landscaping companies come and provide estimates so far and
their estimates are as follows:

1. $1800 - remove all sod, dig 4 feet deep, add soil, resod.
2. $1200 - remove all sod, dig 1 foot deep, add soil, resod.

Question I have is, how deep is deep enough? 4 feet seem awfully deep,
like halfway down to the bottom of the foundation..

Four feet is just about right, if you're putting in a sewer line. But
it's a joke for a lawn renovation. One foot deep is fine, but the
quotes are worthless. What does "add soil" mean. If the quote said
add X cubic yards of topsoil or add 4" of topsoil over the backyard
which is an area of 1000 sq feet, then you would know what you are
getting. I'd also want to know what kind of sod it is, what guarantee
you have etc. This kind of quote is how shysters make money.

It's impossible to tell you what to do without knowing what kind of
soil you have, the drainage, amount of sun, etc.