Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Damian

Default Recommendations for a good granular fungus control

I'm in Central Texas and think what I'm seeing is fungus problems.
Essentially, blades are turning yellow, the area thins, then dies.
This is in both well watered and dryer areas as well as full sun,
medium shade areas. I've heard of grey leaf spot, but am not really
seeing the tell-tale spots.

A friend says she used to use a granular solution that solved the
problem, but another friend who knows alot more about these things
then I ever will, says the only solution he knows of is only for brown
patch.

Bottom line: I just want the entire lawn to look as lush and green as
large parts do.

Any recommendations? Suggestions on where to get it and approximate
costs?

Damian
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Garden Viking

Sure it ain't bugs, Texas? Sink a spade in the ground at the edge of the
dead spots and pry back and see if there are grubs there. Try a few spots
before you rush out to start spraying every and anything.

news

Old 12-04-2006, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Latosha Washington

Greenlight FungAway is the best for Texas.

Also. treat for grubs!

news

Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
MaryL

"Damian" wrote in message
news
I'm in Central Texas and think what I'm seeing is fungus problems.
Essentially, blades are turning yellow, the area thins, then dies.
This is in both well watered and dryer areas as well as full sun,
medium shade areas. I've heard of grey leaf spot, but am not really
seeing the tell-tale spots.

A friend says she used to use a granular solution that solved the
problem, but another friend who knows alot more about these things
then I ever will, says the only solution he knows of is only for brown
patch.

Bottom line: I just want the entire lawn to look as lush and green as
large parts do.

Any recommendations? Suggestions on where to get it and approximate
costs?

Damian

Is it possible that you have chinch bugs instead of fungus? I live in East
Texas, and they are very common here. It's a little early for them, but I
suggest checking for them before you decide on fungus. To do so, remove
both ends of a metal coffee can, pound that about three inches into the
ground and pour water into it (some sources say to use soapy water). Watch
to see if any little bugs float to the surface. If they do, you may have
chinch bugs. Here is a link with description:
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/chinchbug.html

MaryL

Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"Damian" wrote in message
news
[...]

Chinch bug will take a nice lawn down to the point of needing slice-seed
repair, if left un-treated for two or three weeks here in Ohio during the
summer.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Damian

On 12 Apr 2006 03:09:15 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"Damian" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm quite certain it is not chinch bugs as I know what they look like
and have seen nothing that looks like one. And I think you're right,
it is early for them.