GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn tractor will not turn off (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/142749-lawn-tractor-will-not-turn-off.html)

[email protected] 20-04-2006 08:51 PM

Lawn tractor will not turn off

Hello,

I have a White Outdoor LT-1850 Lawn Tractor (MTD). After jumping the
mower because the battery was dead the engine will now not shut off
even if you use the switch. To shut it down you have to disconnect the
battery. After this you can connect the cables back to the battery and
the engine will start up, once it starts up there is a loud buzzing
noise and another thing is the PTO loses function. My first idea is the

starter soleniod is bad. Any ideas?

Paul

Srgnt Billko 20-04-2006 10:51 PM

Lawn tractor will not turn off

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a White Outdoor LT-1850 Lawn Tractor (MTD). After jumping the
mower because the battery was dead the engine will now not shut off
even if you use the switch. To shut it down you have to disconnect the
battery. After this you can connect the cables back to the battery and
the engine will start up, once it starts up there is a loud buzzing
noise and another thing is the PTO loses function. My first idea is the

starter soleniod is bad. Any ideas?
Paul

I suspect the switch.

Artemis 20-04-2006 11:06 PM

wrote:

Hello,

I have a White Outdoor LT-1850 Lawn Tractor (MTD). After jumping the
mower because the battery was dead the engine will now not shut off
even if you use the switch. To shut it down you have to disconnect the
battery. After this you can connect the cables back to the battery and
the engine will start up, once it starts up there is a loud buzzing
noise and another thing is the PTO loses function. My first idea is the

starter soleniod is bad. Any ideas?

Paul

If it won't shut off, I would suspect a bad ground first and then a bad
switch. Where is the buzzing coming from?

--
Art

[email protected] 21-04-2006 08:35 PM

Lawn tractor will not turn off

last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it
started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still
wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me
looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v
solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I
would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old
solenoid to the parts store.

Cam 21-04-2006 11:14 PM

wrote:
last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it
started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still
wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me
looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v
solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I
would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old
solenoid to the parts store.

your lawnmower isnot supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So
your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the switch.

Artemis 22-04-2006 12:11 AM

wrote:
last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it
started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still
wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me
looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v
solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I
would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old
solenoid to the parts store.

No offense intended, but if something this basic is confusing then you
need to take it to the shop.

--
Art

Artemis 22-04-2006 12:14 AM

Cam wrote:
wrote:
last night I put a jumper cable on the solenoid w/ the switch on and it
started right up. I went out and bought a new solenoid and now it still
wont start at all. THe solenoid the lawnmower repair place sold me
looks a different then what I am replacing, but is still a 12v
solenoid. I am so confused. If the switch was bad I would not think I
would be able to start it at all. I am going back tonight w/ my old
solenoid to the parts store.

your lawnmower is not supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So
your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the switch.

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start
with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to really
diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more knowledgeable to work
on it.

--
Art

Cam 22-04-2006 12:42 AM

Artemis wrote:
Cam wrote:

wrote:

[...]

yea but thats not testing the switch then

Artemis 22-04-2006 02:18 AM

Cam wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Cam wrote:
your lawnmower is not supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position.
So your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the
switch.

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start
with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to
really diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more
knowledgeable to work on it.

yea but thats not testing the switch then

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or
the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.

--
Art

Cam 22-04-2006 02:53 AM

Artemis wrote:
Cam wrote:

Artemis wrote:

Cam wrote:

your lawnmower is not supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position.
So your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the
switch.

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start
with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to
really diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more
knowledgeable to work on it.

yea but thats not testing the switch then

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or
the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.

frustrating way to work on one unless you get lucky:)

Srgnt Billko 22-04-2006 03:32 PM

Lawn tractor will not turn off

"Cam" wrote in message
. ..
Artemis wrote:
Cam wrote:

Artemis wrote:

Cam wrote:

your lawnmower is not supposed to start with the switch in the on
position. It should start with the switch in the 'start' position. So
your test was not valid. Translation: could be switch. Test the
switch.

If he jumped to the starter side of the solenoid then it would start
with the switch in the on position.

He is not giving enough info (likely because he doesn't know) to really
diagnose the problem. He needs to get someone more knowledgeable to
work on it.

yea but thats not testing the switch then

I didn't say it was. I'd guess he doesn't know how to test the switch or
the solenoid. He is just replacing parts that he thinks might be bad.

frustrating way to work on one unless you get lucky:)

Not really - both parts are cheap, readily available and easy to change. If
there is any doubt - change them. I've been using that approach for years -
often picking up replacement parts on spec just because they were discounted
and I knew that I would eventually use them. Fuel filters, line &
shut-offs, spark plugs, switches, solenoids, battery terminals & cables.

me 02-05-2006 02:25 AM

Lawn tractor will not turn off

Check the safety switches if you havent already