Old 01-05-2006, 04:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

Default Crab grass!

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual
grass but it's hard to tell from that pic.

I think it is annual bluegrass "poa annual". Does it have numerous little
silver/white seeds at the top of the grass leaves, assuming you let it grow?

The only way to get rid of it this spring is to either pull it up by hand or
to wait until warmer, drier weather kills it. I have a bunch of it in my
yard. Didn't think I'd have that problem with 1 year old zoysia sod.

Anyway, the way to keep it from coming back next year (it is a fall/winter
germinating seed) is to apply a pre-emergent that is effective on grassy
weeds early this fall.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

One thing for sure, what Chas has is not crabgrass. I line in NJ and
immediately recognized this as the same thing I have in a few spots in
my lawn. It's lighter in color, grows faster than the surrounding
grass, is most noticeable this time of year, then either greatly
diminishes or disappears by summer, only to reappear in the same spot
next spring. It doesn't look at all like crabgrass, which grows
lower to the ground. This stuff grows low for the first inch or so,
then shoots up straight.

It doesn't respond much to Acclaim, which is effective against some
undesirable grasses, especially crabgrass. So, I whacked the few
spots I had it growing in with Roundup and reseeded before it spreads
more and gets way out of control.

I may pull a remaining clump and take it to the local state agri
service for identification, as I've been curious as to exactly what
this is for awhile. Quack grass is on my list of possibilities too.

Old 17-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

To Chas and anyone else still interested, I had some weed grass growing
in my lawn that looked identical to the photo that Chas had provided a
few weeks ago. I let it grow to seed head and managed to identify it
as likely to be poa trivialis. Took it to the local county agri
service here and the expert there agreed. It's common name is rough
stalk bluegrass.

The bad news is that there is no selective herbicide for control and it
will spread. Roundup and reseeding, pulling, mowing it frequently
enough to limit seed formation, applying pre-emergent crabgrass control
in early Fall are some of the ways to deal with it.

Old 18-05-2006, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Muvin Gruvin

Ciscoe Morris, Seattle's Channel 5 NBC gardening guru suggests spot
spraying with straight vinegar. Especially on a hot sunny day. Within in
days you can pull those dead grassse up, stir up the soil, add a little
more lawn soil and reseed. Early spring and fall best time to do this.
It works on weeds and grasses coming up in cracks on the sidewalk. I
have a 20 ft or longer area covered with lava rock that abuts next to
the street. I spray the length of it with straight vinegar every now n
then to keep weeds down. This won't kill any seeds weeds have left
behind so have to keep at it.

Old 18-05-2006, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

wrote in message
ps.com...
To Chas and anyone else still interested, I had some weed grass growing
in my lawn that looked identical to the photo that Chas had provided a
few weeks ago. I let it grow to seed head and managed to identify it
as likely to be poa trivialis. Took it to the local county agri
service here and the expert there agreed. It's common name is rough
stalk bluegrass.

The bad news is that there is no selective herbicide for control and it
will spread. Roundup and reseeding, pulling, mowing it frequently
enough to limit seed formation, applying pre-emergent crabgrass control
in early Fall are some of the ways to deal with it.

Thanks for the follow-up Trader. I am currently mowing twice a week with a
bagger in an attempt to corral the seeds. So the pre-emergent applied in
fall will help control it.

Thanks again

Chas Hurst

Old 18-05-2006, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late summer
would help control it. Of course it won't stop what's there from
spreading by rhizomes. I got rid of the worst spots that I had couple
of weeks ago with Roundup.

I think mine came from some shade mix I used. It's confined to three
areas I seeded couple years ago. On the web, looks like contamination
has been a problem, particularly for grass mix for wet/shady areas, as
that is the environment it likes.

If what you have is poa trivialis, it should disappear with hot, dryer
weather.

Crab grass and pre-emergent welsh dragon Gardening 2 24-01-2004 06:32 AM
Question on overseeding and crab grass blahb Lawns 3 26-09-2003 03:22 PM
Crab Grass Issues Thrill Gardening 6 16-08-2003 03:02 PM
Crab Grass Kyle Boatright Gardening 1 06-05-2003 03:20 AM
crab grass and milky spore thoranw Gardening 2 29-03-2003 12:20 AM