Old 30-04-2006, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

Default Crab grass!

The crab grass slipped in on my lawn this spring. I have sprayed Ortho crab
grass killer on it with very dissapointing results. It was left over from
last year. Does it have a shelf life once opened? Are there other brands of
crab grass killer that work better?

Chas Hurst

Old 30-04-2006, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
The crab grass slipped in on my lawn this spring. I have sprayed Ortho
crab grass killer on it with very dissapointing results. It was left over
from last year. Does it have a shelf life once opened? Are there other
brands of crab grass killer that work better?

Chas Hurst

Where do you live? It seems very early for crabgrass in most of the US.

To answer your question, there are a number of varieties of crabgrass
killer. The one I like is Image. I had a huge amount of crabgrass in my new
zoysia last summer. I sprayed it with Image in one of the hose end
applicators and the crabgrass was noticably damaged in a week or so and
completely gone in 3 weeks or so.

Old 30-04-2006, 07:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7456.html

UC Davis has great info even if you're not in CA... most of the info
applies.

Nicole

Old 30-04-2006, 12:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Chas Hurst wrote:
The crab grass slipped in on my lawn this spring. I have sprayed Ortho crab
grass killer on it with very dissapointing results. It was left over from
last year. Does it have a shelf life once opened? Are there other brands of
crab grass killer that work better?

My experience is that crabgrass killers work very slowly. And, they
are weak. I need about 3 applications, 2 weeks apart. And even then,
it takes a few weeks for the crabgrass do whither.
Old 30-04-2006, 01:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I agree that it's too early for crabgrass for most of the US.
Crabgrass needs soil temps in the 70s to germinate, which is why it's
not a problem most places until 2-3 months from now.

If it is crabgrass, Aclaim is the best product I've found. It's not a
typical retail product that you'll find at home centers. You need to
buy it at an agri supply type place, like Lesco.

Old 30-04-2006, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:09:31 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

Chas Hurst wrote:
The crab grass slipped in on my lawn this spring. I have sprayed Ortho crab
grass killer on it with very dissapointing results. It was left over from
last year. Does it have a shelf life once opened? Are there other brands of
crab grass killer that work better?

My experience is that crabgrass killers work very slowly. And, they
are weak. I need about 3 applications, 2 weeks apart. And even then,
it takes a few weeks for the crabgrass do whither.

Same here, I've had the same experiences like that too. I was
told.... if it was stronger, the regular grass would die too.

I just get mad and pull the stuff up by hand now. If I'm in a rush, I
run around spraying, and come back later, since the crab grass
'yellows' so I can find it later when I have time.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Old 30-04-2006, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to see crab
grass this early, but there it is.

Old 30-04-2006, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to see
crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com
Old 30-04-2006, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to see
crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Old 30-04-2006, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to see
crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual grass
but it's hard to tell from that pic.

Old 30-04-2006, 08:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to
see crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual
grass but it's hard to tell from that pic.

OK, hows about this? Where can I find a picture of crabgrass?
http://i2.tinypic.com/wufrqv.jpg

Hrmm..maybe quackgrass too. Here's a url to some common grass weeds.

http://tinyurl.com/rhezu

Old 30-04-2006, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Tom The Great wrote:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:00:26 -0400, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
OK, hows about this? Where can I find a picture of crabgrass?
http://i2.tinypic.com/wufrqv.jpg

Hard to get depth percerption, but IMHO, that looks like crab grass.

Looks more like quack to me since it appears well established already..like

http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/qu...grass_turf.jpg
Old 30-04-2006, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to see
crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual grass
but it's hard to tell from that pic.

OK, hows about this? Where can I find a picture of crabgrass?
http://i2.tinypic.com/wufrqv.jpg

Hard to get depth percerption, but IMHO, that looks like crab grass.
BTW, it has been warm enough here in PA to get it. I've seen some on
OTHER people's yards.

The forsythia around here bloomed in early March.

Old 30-04-2006, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in SE PA and did not expect to
see crab grass this early, but there it is.

I kind of doubt it. Can you post a pic of it here?

http://tinypic.com

Let's try this one.
http://i2.tinypic.com/wttvdf.jpg

Nope, that's not crabgrass, it looks kind of like a fresh cut annual
grass but it's hard to tell from that pic.

OK, hows about this? Where can I find a picture of crabgrass?
http://i2.tinypic.com/wufrqv.jpg

Hrmm..maybe quackgrass too. Here's a url to some common grass weeds.

http://tinyurl.com/rhezu

Thanks for the link. I b'lieve most of what I have is annual rye grass. I
re-seeded some spots last fall and apparently it was in the mix. I bought
what I thought was quality seed and there was no listing of annual rye grass
on the assay label. Anyway, I can live with the rye since it's an annual and
it gets mowed regularly hopefully keeping it from going to seed.

Crab grass and pre-emergent welsh dragon Gardening 2 24-01-2004 05:32 AM
Question on overseeding and crab grass blahb Lawns 3 26-09-2003 02:22 PM
Crab Grass Issues Thrill Gardening 6 16-08-2003 02:02 PM
Crab Grass Kyle Boatright Gardening 1 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
crab grass and milky spore thoranw Gardening 2 28-03-2003 11:20 PM