Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Sam Alexander

Default Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly

Hi everyone,

Our back yard is about 3/4 acre, and we have a 7 year old basset hound who
stays in the yard. I need to put something out to kill the crazy outbreak
of ants that've started moving in, but I'm not sure what to use that won't
hurt the dog. I use Amdro on the front lawn and it works well, but the
package says not to use around pets.

Also, any ideas on a weed killer? Thanks --

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--

Old 02-05-2006, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
CANNON-FODDER

Sam Alexander wrote:

Hi everyone,

Our back yard is about 3/4 acre, and we have a 7 year old basset hound who
stays in the yard. I need to put something out to kill the crazy outbreak
of ants that've started moving in, but I'm not sure what to use that won't
hurt the dog. I use Amdro on the front lawn and it works well, but the
package says not to use around pets.

Also, any ideas on a weed killer? Thanks --

Sam

Patience and a water hose.
With [new] fire-ant mounds, just flood it until you get the egg rooms.
They usually move on to the neighbor's yard, where he can put down all the
poison he wants (I have high sensitivity).

Should work for other the other ants (except concrete/nuisance ants - they
do not seem to leave).

I've moved from fire-ant country, but I was going to make a little tripod
for the hose to place right on the mound, so I did not have to crouch down
(and dance around the defensive surge).

I also thought about experimenting with a probe that sticks in the ground to
better the chance I disturb the egg rooms with an [unattended] hose.

--
v/r,
C-F
Old 02-05-2006, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Darryl

Sam Alexander wrote:
Hi everyone,

Our back yard is about 3/4 acre, and we have a 7 year old basset hound who
stays in the yard. I need to put something out to kill the crazy outbreak
of ants that've started moving in, but I'm not sure what to use that won't
hurt the dog. I use Amdro on the front lawn and it works well, but the
package says not to use around pets.

Also, any ideas on a weed killer? Thanks --

The insect killers I looked at recently are listed as safe around
mammals, just very deadly to fish & water creatures. I just applied a
product called Triazide or something where only 0.5% of the product was
active, and it only used 0.5 floz per gallon.

Research the active ingredients rather than the brand name.

For a weed killer, I've learned to section the yard with flexible vinyl
fencing & temporary posts on a sunny day, & spray only the isolated
section. When it's dry in a few hours, move the fencing, move the
dogs. Alternately, I spray on a Saturday morning, then take the dogs
off for a day elsewhere & return in the evening.

New Exciting Earth-Friendly Solution for your Dog Poo earthessentials United Kingdom 3 10-09-2011 06:38 PM
dog friendly gardens peter Australia 13 29-06-2006 12:02 PM
Dog friendly plant that will tolerate shade and damp conditions ? Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 12 14-08-2004 01:15 AM
avoiding weed killer "friendly fire" incidents ken cohen United Kingdom 12 02-07-2003 02:08 PM
avoiding weed killer "friendly fire" incidents ken cohen United Kingdom 8 24-06-2003 10:56 PM