Old 05-05-2006, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Need help with a riding mower that won't start

I have a 10 year old Poulin Pro that has a Kohler engine. The
symptoms of my problem are simple. After the mower has sat overnight,
it is easy to start. Even if I run it only a short time, it is easy
to start. However, if I run it for an hour or two and shut it down, I
may not be able to start it back up. It appears that the problem
occurs only if the engine has been run an extensive amount of time and
then shut down. In that case, it won't start until I let it sit
overnight. What is going on? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
reader

wrote in message
I have a 10 year old Poulin Pro that has a Kohler engine. The
symptoms of my problem are simple. After the mower has sat overnight,
it is easy to start. Even if I run it only a short time, it is easy
to start. However, if I run it for an hour or two and shut it down, I
may not be able to start it back up. It appears that the problem
occurs only if the engine has been run an extensive amount of time and
then shut down. In that case, it won't start until I let it sit
overnight. What is going on? Any advice will be appreciated.

This seems to be a common question on this NG.

An internal combustion engine needs three things to run:
1) fuel (proper gas/air mixture)
2) spark (ignition at the correct time)
3) compression (the air/fuel mixture must be properly compressed)

So what I do is start with the easiest first. Pull the spark plug cap, crank
the engine and make sure you have spark. Then I put a compression gauge into
the spark plug hole and test the compression. You may need to refer to the
manual or check online to ensure your reading is within specs. The next
thing I check is the fuel system. A trick I use is to remove the air cleaner
and put my hand completely over the intake. Crank the motor and my hand
should be wet with gas. The motor should sputter and want to start (just
like when you choke the motor).

I suspect you have low compression (when the motor is hot) and after it
sits, things cool off, the compression is slightly higher, and it starts.
But this is only a hunch- T/S is required.

I hope this has helped.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
ecarecar

reader wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

I have a 10 year old Poulin Pro that has a Kohler engine. The
symptoms of my problem are simple. After the mower has sat overnight,
it is easy to start. Even if I run it only a short time, it is easy
to start. However, if I run it for an hour or two and shut it down, I
may not be able to start it back up. It appears that the problem
occurs only if the engine has been run an extensive amount of time and
then shut down. In that case, it won't start until I let it sit
overnight. What is going on? Any advice will be appreciated.

My guess is spark. When it is the most likely to not start, stop the
mower, remove the
spark plug, and then check for spark. Don't forget your asbestos gloves.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

wrote in message
I have a 10 year old Poulin Pro that has a Kohler engine. The
symptoms of my problem are simple. After the mower has sat overnight,
it is easy to start. Even if I run it only a short time, it is easy
to start. However, if I run it for an hour or two and shut it down, I
may not be able to start it back up. It appears that the problem
occurs only if the engine has been run an extensive amount of time and
then shut down. In that case, it won't start until I let it sit
overnight. What is going on? Any advice will be appreciated.

Possible vacuum in gas tank. Try taking gas cap off (and maybe even blowing
in the tank). BTW, a 2 hour run is a lot for a 10 year old motor.
Try working at the machines schedule rather than your own.

mower won't start brusbrother Lawns 2 11-06-2006 02:22 PM
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start -- What to Try Next? Alan Whitehouse Lawns 10 05-05-2006 12:11 AM
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Go Michael Redman Lawns 3 09-08-2003 04:14 AM
Help - Sears Riding Mower will not Start after first Use cdoxey Gardening 5 14-06-2003 06:08 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start Big Al Gardening 5 27-05-2003 05:32 PM