Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
willshak

Default Dog doodoo as lawn fertilizer?

I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our
back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a
week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a few
days.
The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around the
s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more
rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look
like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food.
So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has
anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

See pics over in alt.binaries.pictures.garden

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery

"willshak" wrote in message
I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our
back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a
week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a few
days.
The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around the
s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more
rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look
like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food.
So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has
anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

Just about any kind of animal poop can be used . You just have to adjust
the ammount depending on the animal it comes from.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our
back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a
week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a few
days.
The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around the
s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more
rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look
like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food.
So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has
anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

Just about any kind of animal poop can be used . You just have to adjust
the ammount depending on the animal it comes from.

True in general but horse manure needs to be mixed with hay or wood
chips and left to rot for a year. Chicken manure is even more "hot"
and needs to age for say, 2 years.

You might return some of your visitor's presents to their owner's front
porch. Or turn on a lawn sprinkler when the visitor appears.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
willshak

Stubby wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want my dogs presents on my front porch. That's why we let her
out in the rear yard. :-)

Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, it would work. The only obvious problems are how to collect it
and distribute it evenly, which would require grinding it up. Then
there are the issues of spreading any dog parasites, disease, etc
across the yard, where other dogs may encounter it. Not saying your
dog is a puss bag, but you get the idea And when you can buy
enough nitrogen for an acre for $30, it doesn't seem worth it.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JillAdams

he didn't say the neighbors dog "doodoos" in thier yard.

his "OWN" doggy doo burns his "OWN" grass...

Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"willshak" wrote in message
I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our
back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a
week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a few
days.
The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around the
s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more
rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look
like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food.
So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has
anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

you have described fairly much what happens to my lawns when my mutts (and a
lazy shit cat who can't be bothered using a garden to shit in) crap on it. I
mow the shit up if it is there and it goes in the compost. It is autumn here
so the amount of rain at present is washing alot of the poop away within a
few days. Your comment about craters is accurate although my grass takes
quite a time to grow back after being burnt. Like yours my mutts (and cat)
gets biscuits. I use dog poop, mainly what I collect from walking them, as a
mulch under our hedge. I use compost mulch to keep grass and weeds down and
simply add the poop as a top up and fertiliser.

rob

Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

George.com wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

I hope you don't use compost with dog sh*t in it around plants in your
vegetable garden. Diseases can be transmitted to you this way. Also,
lawn chemicals are not good for the plants or for people.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kate

No one has mentioned yet the SMELL of dog crap...
It's just nasty - not to mention the flies it draws.

Unhealthy and a Doggone nasty idea I think.

Kate

Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
ricks555

i'm down with kate ! pewwwwww

Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Stubby" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

the dog poop goes as mulch along the hedge. Lawn chemicals go no where near
plants or compost or me anymore. I don't use them now (aside from roundup
occasionally). I decided some time ago spraying the shit out of my lawn
every year can't be that healthy for any of us. My opinion is I can get as
good a result without synthetic chemicals or fertilisers as I did with them.
This autumn my lawn is showing signs I am correct.

rob

Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Kate" (please ask) wrote in message
. ..
No one has mentioned yet the SMELL of dog crap...
It's just nasty - not to mention the flies it draws.

Unhealthy and a Doggone nasty idea I think.

Kate

it has a bit of an odour but is not really that bad at all. I think cat poop
smells far worse. I do walk my mutts daily and pick up their crap so I have
gotten use to it but it is far from a wretch worthy stench.

rob

Old 08-05-2006, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Newsgroup

Don't sweat the small stuff. Yes, almost any animal poop is fertilizer. I
had a small front yard for my two small dogs. Cleaning up was throwing it
in the flower patch. The yard and flowers were the best on the block. Yes,
do NOT put it in a vegetable garden due to disease.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oscar_Lives

"ricks555" wrote in message
ups.com...
i'm down with kate ! pewwwwww

Just put out some antifreeze in the water dish and some bacon-soaked
sponges. This should stop the problem.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Oscar_Lives said:

"ricks555" wrote in message
ups.com...
i'm down with kate ! pewwwwww

Just put out some antifreeze in the water dish and some bacon-soaked
sponges. This should stop the problem.

Good luck.

Did you even bother to actually *READ* the original post? It's not someone
else's dog.

--
Eggs
..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM
Dog Safe Fertilizer Billy Gardening 9 16-08-2003 12:22 PM
Female dog bare spots/lawn Sue Lawns 18 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 02:15 PM