GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this weed? Need help please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/143646-what-weed-need-help-please.html)

SlipKid 07-05-2006 04:02 PM

What is this weed? Need help please

Hello,
I am tring to find out what kind of weed this is and how to control it.
http://slipkid.smugmug.com/photos/68243410-M.jpg
Thanks

ricks555 08-05-2006 05:55 AM

What is this weed? Need help please

This looks like speedwell. Corn speedwell is an upright, clumping
winter annual that produces small purple flowers in the spring. Corn
speedwell does not typically persist very long after flowering.
Attempts to control corn speedwell in the spring are usally
unsuccessful because the plant is at the end of its lifecycle. This
type of weed is best controlled with a post emergent herbicide during
its peak in may or november.

[email protected] 14-05-2006 02:36 PM

What is this weed? Need help please

I don't know exactly what it is, but I have some of it and Weed B Gone
whacked it. I would think any broadleaf weedkiller would work. I'd go
with liquid and a small tank sprayer to deliver it right on target for
max effectiveness and minimum usage.

Steveo 15-05-2006 01:03 PM

"SlipKid" wrote:
Hello,
I am tring to find out what kind of weed this is and how to control it.
http://slipkid.smugmug.com/photos/68243410-M.jpg
Thanks

It looks like veronica. Selective broadleaf weed control like weed be gone
should help control it.

Muvin Gruvin 15-05-2006 01:06 PM

What is this weed? Need help please

Ciscoe Morris our local TV gardening guru suggests spraying any weed or
unwanted grasses between concrete cracks with straight vinegar on a hot
sunny day.
I have tried it and it really works and is fairly non-toxic....you don't
want to get the vinegar on ornamental or other desired plantings though/
You can read Ciscoe Morris's website by typing his name into search.

Dan 15-05-2006 05:30 PM

Steveo wrote:
"SlipKid" wrote:
Hello,
I am tring to find out what kind of weed this is and how to control
it. http://slipkid.smugmug.com/photos/68243410-M.jpg
Thanks

It looks like veronica. Selective broadleaf weed control like weed be
gone should help control it.

That stuff has taken over my newly seeded areas.
I'm not gonna spray until the 3-4th mowing of the grass sprouts, but will
the veronica go to seed before that?
Will a pre-emergent be needed to prevent an infestation next spring?
How best to deal with it now in new blue grass?

Thanks for identifying that weed, I couldn't figure out what the hell it was
either. (and for any reply)

Steveo 15-05-2006 08:56 PM

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"SlipKid" wrote:
Hello,
I am tring to find out what kind of weed this is and how to control
it. http://slipkid.smugmug.com/photos/68243410-M.jpg
Thanks

It looks like veronica. Selective broadleaf weed control like weed be
gone should help control it.

That stuff has taken over my newly seeded areas.
I'm not gonna spray until the 3-4th mowing of the grass sprouts, but will
the veronica go to seed before that?
Will a pre-emergent be needed to prevent an infestation next spring?
How best to deal with it now in new blue grass?

Thanks for identifying that weed, I couldn't figure out what the hell it
was either. (and for any reply)

It's more of a winter annual like chickweed, in other words it is usually
growing as soon as the snow melts. It doesn't like summer weather so you
should be able to get it under control this year with your post-emergent
control, after your seedling have established.