GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree suckers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/143732-tree-suckers.html)

[email protected] 09-05-2006 12:03 AM

Tree suckers

My aspens are starting to send numerous suckers into my lawn.

Is there any kind of spray that I can put on them that will get rid of
them but not kill my tree?

MaryL 09-05-2006 01:17 AM

Tree suckers

wrote in message
ups.com...
My aspens are starting to send numerous suckers into my lawn.

Is there any kind of spray that I can put on them that will get rid of
them but not kill my tree?

I think any spray that would kill the suckers is also likely to kill the
tree. I would just continue to mow them down or individually pull them
(being careful not to harm the root system). I have crape myrtles that did
the same thing, but they eventually stopped putting out suckers after I cut
them back a few times.

MaryL

DP 11-05-2006 05:42 AM

Tree suckers

wrote in message
ups.com...
My aspens are starting to send numerous suckers into my lawn.

Is there any kind of spray that I can put on them that will get rid of
them but not kill my tree?

Quaking Aspen send up suckers and there is nothing that will stop them.
They have a shallow root system, and create a whole grove by suckering. I
have suckers come up that do not seem to be anywhere near the Aspens!! If
the parent tree is large and established, hitting the suckers with a spot
spray of Weed-B-Gone will not lead to enough herbicide going into the main
tree to damage it. Do not use Roundup, as it will damage the entire plant.
Otherwise, it is a ongoing job of cutting them off just below the ground. We
have many Aspen in the neighborhood, so the job never really ends.

DP