Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RB

Default cheap parts sources sought

Looking for several cheap parts sources for garden tractor accessories like
oil and air filters.

I know the NAPA p/ns my engine uses, but would like to find sources of less
expensive ones.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
larry

"RB" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for several cheap parts sources for garden tractor accessories

like
oil and air filters.

I know the NAPA p/ns my engine uses, but would like to find sources of

less
expensive ones.

I've found NAPA products to be pretty reasonably priced and (I feel) if you
use something 'cheaper' you will likely end up with an item of questionable
quality. I would not jeopardize my equipment by using inferior quality
filters. Since you've identified the NAPA products you need, just go
shopping for a good price.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

If you can find an automotive oil filter that will fit your engine you
can save a few dollars since the auto filters are sold in much larger
quantities which drives the prices down. Get the largest (longest) one
that fits. The extra size means extra filter capacity, and additional
cooling surface.

Make sure the threads are an exact match - don't use a 20mm thread on
an engine that wants 3/4" thread. You can tell if there's a mismatch
because the filter will be loose and wobbly as you are spinning it on.

I'm told that the SuperTech oil filters that WalMart carries are
actually pretty good quality. And they're only 2 bucks each. Chances
are there's one to fit your engine.

Just make sure you change the filter before it clogs up, because the
bypass valve pressure setting may be wrong if it's not an exact match.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
newsreader

RB wrote:
Looking for several cheap parts sources for garden tractor accessories like
oil and air filters.

I know the NAPA p/ns my engine uses, but would like to find sources of less
expensive ones.

Try he

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ether Jones wrote:
If you can find an automotive oil filter that will fit your engine you
can save a few dollars since the auto filters are sold in much larger
quantities which drives the prices down. Get the largest (longest) one
that fits. The extra size means extra filter capacity, and additional
cooling surface.

Make sure the threads are an exact match - don't use a 20mm thread on
an engine that wants 3/4" thread. You can tell if there's a mismatch
because the filter will be loose and wobbly as you are spinning it on.

I'm told that the SuperTech oil filters that WalMart carries are
actually pretty good quality. And they're only 2 bucks each. Chances
are there's one to fit your engine.

Just make sure you change the filter before it clogs up, because the
bypass valve pressure setting may be wrong if it's not an exact match.

So, you're advocating trying to match an oil filter to an engine by
trial and error? Seeing how the threads match by if it's wobbly after
you screw it on? You need one filter a year and they aren't that
expensive. Unless a filter is listed in a reference guide for that
engine, I sure wouldn't screw around.

Cheap sources of wood to make raised beds...? Mikey[_1_] United Kingdom 7 20-08-2009 02:43 PM
Cheap sources of seeds. James Edible Gardening 4 04-06-2007 06:57 PM
online sources sought RB Lawns 1 09-04-2006 10:09 PM
Cheap in MN: 1996 Toro lawn tractor parts or repair kz Lawns 0 22-03-2006 02:30 AM
Cheap and Interesting seed sources Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 18-03-2003 10:00 PM