Old 18-05-2006, 08:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Darryl

Default How Can I Keep Dogs Away from my Lawn and Other Plants?

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

No.

However, the fence need only be those green light-duty U-posts & thin
bird/deer netting (the kind you drape over trees & shrubs, with bright
strings or ribbons at dog-eye level to make it visible). Secure the
bottom of the fence netting with rocks, & tie the netting to each post.

For individual shrubs, I use 3' galvanized fencing, looped into in a 2'
diameter cylinder, with the snipped fence ends twisted around the other
side to hold it in cylinder shape. I've also learned to drive a 4'
U-post into the ground next to the loop, & fasten it to the fence loop
with plastic ties: ground stakes will not permit a 3' fence loop to
withstand a solid hit from a playful Labrador. When the shrubs are
large enough, I reuse the fence loops for new shrubs.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Mike

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Set out a dish of water with some antifreeze in it.

Some pieces of sponge soaked in bacon grease will also work.

Good luck.

The dogs lick/chew them then don't return?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Steveo

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Set out a dish of water with some antifreeze in it.

Some pieces of sponge soaked in bacon grease will also work.

Good luck.

The dogs lick/chew them then don't return?

No, it's not as nice as that.

The dogs internal body parts will plug up and the dog may die. I suppose
there might be a time and place for extreme measures, eh?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
George.com

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Set out a dish of water with some antifreeze in it.

Some pieces of sponge soaked in bacon grease will also work.

Good luck.

The dogs lick/chew them then don't return?

No, it's not as nice as that.

The dogs internal body parts will plug up and the dog may die. I suppose
there might be a time and place for extreme measures, eh?

can't think of any Steve though I can think of some uses for it for people
who actually do this to dogs, along with electric fences, baseball bats and
barbed wire.

rob

Old 08-06-2006, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Danny

Mike,
Short of hitting the owner with a stick, I've had some success
with Red Pepper Flakes. My grandfather use to spread them out on the side
walk in front of his business to keep the dogs moving on down the line.
Try boiling some flakes up in water then applying it to your most
visited canine rest stops and see if this helps.

Cheers

Dan

Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Tim Rogers

Home Depot sells a product by Havaheart called Critter Ridder Dog and Cat
Repellant.
Works with natural capsaicin (sp?) i.e. strong pepper essence and a few
other ingredients.
It works.

Tim

Old 27-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Registered User

I strongly disagree with the suggestion to set out antifreeze or sponges soaked in bacon grease--- these will not only keep a dog away they can & probably will kill any animal that ingests them -- the antifreeze is highly toxic & the apogee can expand further in their stomach & or get stuck somewhere in their system & kill them -- I do hope nobody follows this advice -- there is a product called liquid fence & there are other liquids & powders that can be found at a pet store or some hardware stores to keep your pets away from plants & other certain areas -- I suggest you try these....... Good luck
Old 20-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered User

You can use red pepper flakes. Dogs have keen sense of smell. So they will avoid your garden area altogether.