Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Mike

Default How Can I Keep Dogs Away from my Lawn and Other Plants?

I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
willshak

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Anything short of a fence will be easy for your dog to jump over.
I have a cable running from my house to a tree 70 feet away. The dog can
only go about 15 feet either side of the cable and there is a stop on
the cable 20 feet from the tree. There's nothing she can destroy except
grass.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Dave Balderstone

In article _kT8g.5125$OF6.2558@trnddc06, Mike
wrote:

I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Motion detector sprinkler?

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=44958&cat=2,51555&ap=1
Old 13-05-2006, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Mike

I'm planting new grass and other greenery. Believe I found what I need -
urine. . . urine from bears and wolves. Understand dogs will actually run
from this scent
and not cock their legs on my new greenery.

Old 15-05-2006, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Kyle Boatright

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Do dogs run wild in your neighborhood, or do not-so-thoughtful pet owners
let their pets use your yard as a bathroom?

I don't have any advice for free-running dogs, but I have found that a small
sign (it can be 6" x 6" and made of something that doesn't stand out like a
sore thumb) that says something like.. "If your pet needs to use the
bathroom, please take them over to the mulched area instead of letting them
go on the yard or plants. Thanks!"

The bottom line is that pet owners are often lazy, but are usually nice
enough people to get their pets to use your preferred alternative, rather
than going right in the middle of your yard...

Old 15-05-2006, 12:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Steveo

Stubby wrote:
Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs
around your place and notify your neighbors.

I've never seen one that says that.
Old 15-05-2006, 12:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Stubby

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs
around your place and notify your neighbors. Tell them it could hurt
their pets and they must keep those pets off your property.
Old 15-05-2006, 01:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
CANNON-FODDER

Stubby wrote:

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs
around your place and notify your neighbors. Tell them it could hurt
their pets and they must keep those pets off your property.

And be prepared for the hypochondriacs to come...

--
v/r,
C-F
Old 15-05-2006, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

CANNON-FODDER wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs
around your place and notify your neighbors. Tell them it could hurt
their pets and they must keep those pets off your property.

And be prepared for the hypochondriacs to come...

I suppose you need to have a special made sign with the message and "No
Tresspassing" on it.
Old 15-05-2006, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mel-Donnie Kelly

I use a 22 rifle with birdshot the first time.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down
town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc

http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Old 16-05-2006, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
CANNON-FODDER

Stubby wrote:

CANNON-FODDER wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Mike wrote:
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?
Put several of those little "Dangerous lawn chemicals in use" signs
around your place and notify your neighbors. Tell them it could hurt
their pets and they must keep those pets off your property.

And be prepared for the hypochondriacs to come...

I suppose you need to have a special made sign with the message and "No
Tresspassing" on it.

Although my comment was meant as a wry poke at the power of suggestion, "No
Tresspassing" would certainly be better. That would be up-front and clear
instead of passive-aggressive and duplicitous, and would avoid any
confusion over which [non-existent] chemical was applied and if there were
any over-spray or ground-water concerns.

I am confident there are plenty of "No Tresspassing" signs available locally
without having to have a special one made.

--
v/r,
C-F
Old 16-05-2006, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Mike

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

Do dogs run wild in your neighborhood, or do not-so-thoughtful pet owners
let their pets use your yard as a bathroom?

I don't have any advice for free-running dogs, but I have found that a
small sign (it can be 6" x 6" and made of something that doesn't stand out
like a sore thumb) that says something like.. "If your pet needs to use
the bathroom, please take them over to the mulched area instead of letting
them go on the yard or plants. Thanks!"

The bottom line is that pet owners are often lazy, but are usually nice
enough people to get their pets to use your preferred alternative, rather
than going right in the middle of your yard...

It's an urban neighborhood some dogs are loose. I'll put up a couple of
small signs.

Mike

Old 16-05-2006, 07:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Spike

Oh, i just have to....
Have you tried a Supervandal?

You can find one over here,
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreats...asar-intl.com/

Old 18-05-2006, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.building.landscape
Oscar_Lives

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm planting new plants and want to keep dogs away from them.
Is there anything short of a fence that'll keep them away?

Thanks,

Mike

Set out a dish of water with some antifreeze in it.

Some pieces of sponge soaked in bacon grease will also work.

Good luck.