Old 17-05-2006, 01:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Fescue seedheads?

Hi

I am in Raleigh. I have fescue grass. What I am seeing is tall (6"-12")
thin stalks with seed heads on top about evenly distributed through out
the yard in between normal fescue grass. The lawn service person said
this is normal fescue seedheads that is growing rapidly due to the
inflox in temperature and that when we get to consistent 80 degree
weather, these tall fescue seedhead stalks will subside.

Am I being taken for a ride by the lawn service company? Or are they
actually telling me the facts? Is there anyway to control these taller
stalks with seed heads.

Thanks
Bob

Old 17-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy asks:

Could you not have just sprayed the tall stalks with a spray
bottle using roundup or pronto, and not have to reseed...???

As long as you don't get the stuff on your desired grasses,
it should work OK... Takes about a week to kill the bad stuff..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 17-05-2006, 05:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

AndyS wrote:
Andy asks:

Could you not have just sprayed the tall stalks with a spray
bottle using roundup or pronto, and not have to reseed...???

As long as you don't get the stuff on your desired grasses,
it should work OK... Takes about a week to kill the bad stuff..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

No, because it's impossible. Most of the spray winds up on the other
grass, not the thin stalks that only stick up an inch or two above the
desirable grass. You can try to apply it with a sponge, but besides
being very tedious, the Roundup only gets the very tips, not most of
the plant, so even with a lot of work, the outcome is not certain.

Old 17-05-2006, 10:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

I mow every 2 weeks cutting at about a 3.5" height based on the advise
from the lawn service company. So these stalks grew from 3.5" to a foot
in about 2 weeks. Some stalks are even taller than a foot.

The color is green. I could try to get you a digital picture if that
would help.

Thanks
Bob

Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Pat Barber

I'm from N.C. and live on the coast. Do the seed heads have
three seperate "leaves" covered in seeds ??? The so called
crow's foot is more than likely Bahia grass which is very
aggresive and VERY difficult to control.

Go here for reading: http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/