GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   conifers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/144392-conifers.html)

www.gardeners-advice.com 20-05-2006 02:59 PM

conifers

our conifers are huge and are growing close to our house, ive heard
they can affect the foundations of the house ie the roots, is this true?

[email protected] 20-05-2006 03:32 PM

conifers

Any tree that is huge and growing close to the foundation has the
potential to cause damage to the foundation.

Jonny 21-05-2006 12:24 PM

conifers

Not only a threat to the foundation, also a potential fire hazard to your
home. I used the horizontal 50 foot plus the height of the tree rule for
clearing, including access road, when making land ready for house
construction.
--
Jonny
ups.com...

Tom The Great 21-05-2006 05:54 PM

conifers

On Sun, 21 May 2006 11:24:19 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

Not only a threat to the foundation, also a potential fire hazard to your
home. I used the horizontal 50 foot plus the height of the tree rule for
clearing, including access road, when making land ready for house
construction.

Good Point, I've heard some insurance companies requiring trees to
both not overhang a house but have a certain distance from a home.

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Jonny 22-05-2006 01:00 PM

conifers

wrote:

Not only a threat to the foundation, also a potential fire hazard to your
home. I used the horizontal 50 foot plus the height of the tree rule for
clearing, including access road, when making land ready for house
construction.

Good Point, I've heard some insurance companies requiring trees to
both not overhang a house but have a certain distance from a home.

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Nevermind insurance companies. A little observance of "wildfires" on the
West coast area of the U.S. is enough for me. They build their houses in
the middle of the forest and wonder why they burn down. Forests, and other
foliage areas naturally have burnoff, its nature's way of cleaning up.

You can have a few trees near the house for shade and eye appeal. The
native tree clearance distance should be increased to prevent fire jumping
to these, thus your house.
--
Jonny

Tomes 24-05-2006 03:40 AM

conifers

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
Good Point, I've heard some insurance companies requiring trees to
both not overhang a house but have a certain distance from a home.

Not mine.
Tomes