Old 22-05-2006, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Default Chipper/Shredder buying advice

I've could really use a chipper/shredder. Something to handle up to 1.5-2
inch material. Recommendations?
--
Mac Cool
Old 22-05-2006, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tim

I have a Murray 5.5 hp chipper/shredder and not very pleased with it.
Just not enough umph to handle anything over an inch think. Shreds
leaves really good!

I would love to have a DR with an 11 hp motor. I have heard good things
about them.

Old 22-05-2006, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Mac Cool said:

I've could really use a chipper/shredder. Something to handle up to 1.5-2
inch material. Recommendations?

Rent one?
--
Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
Old 23-05-2006, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Eggs Zachtly:
Rent one?

Smallest chipper/shredders I can rent are $200/day. Considering I could
use one probably four times per year minimum, renting would be stupid.

--
Mac Cool
Old 23-05-2006, 10:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Mac Cool said:

Eggs Zachtly:
Rent one?

Smallest chipper/shredders I can rent are $200/day. Considering I could
use one probably four times per year minimum, renting would be stupid.

5-6HP models will run you about $500US, but they're pretty light-duty. 10HP
models will run you about $1000US. Have you considered what you'd do with
all of the debris?

--
Eggs

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?

Old 23-05-2006, 12:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Missing Texas

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
Eggs Zachtly:
Rent one?

Smallest chipper/shredders I can rent are $200/day. Considering I could
use one probably four times per year minimum, renting would be stupid.

--
Mac Cool

I bought one from Home Depot about 7 years ago. 12 hp MTD brand. $799.00
I used the hell out of it for 3 days. I may have used it 3 times since.
(Real pain in the ass to use; slow, debris jams, and just the whole time
consuming thing.)

In hindsight, I would have paid the $200.00 and rented. (Much bigger unit,
I might have finished my project in a couple of hours)

It's sitting here now if you want it. $200.00 Central Texas.

I decided that fire was much more fun.

BTW: I live on a 36 acre farm/ranch. You would have thought I needed a
shredder.

Old 23-05-2006, 12:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Missing Texas" wrote in message

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
[...]

when purchasing have a look at the outlet vent where the mulched material
falls. My dad has a small mulcher with a nice wide oval tube and things
slide out easily. I bought a small domestic unit cheap at a garage sale with
a slat narrow outlet and things get jammed in that constantly.

rob

Old 24-05-2006, 03:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Eggs Zachtly:

Have you considered what you'd do with
all of the debris?

I want to use it for my compost, shredding should speed the process. I can
also chip/shred the unending rain of twigs and sticks that fall from the
trees in our yard and spread the chips around the roots of the the Maple
trees.

--
Mac Cool
Old 24-05-2006, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Missing Texas:

I live on a 36 acre farm/ranch. You would have thought I needed a
shredder.

I grew up on a farm, we would have had no use for a shredder either.

--
Mac Cool
Old 24-05-2006, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
Eggs Zachtly:
Rent one?

Smallest chipper/shredders I can rent are $200/day. Considering I could
use one probably four times per year minimum, renting would be stupid.

--
Mac Cool

I went through this thought process too. I ended up renting from HD for
$200 total with tax and all for a day. I took down about 10 big pine trees,
a big cedar tree and a juniper bush. Anything over 5 inches is out there
cut and stacked drying for outdoor fires, and all thinner than that went
into that 6 inch chipper. Man, that thing just chomped all the stuff I
could jam in there, sounding like it was thoroughly enjoying itself. I made
a mulch pile that I estimate would have cost me about $300 or so, and then
used it to mulch. I went in on the deal with my neighbor who had stuff to
chip as well so it only cost me half that much. Not every HD has them near
here, I had to go to the right one.

If I had a smaller unit I might still be out there doing it. My strategy
was to get everything done and ready to chip, all dragged into one location
in the yard where I wanted the pile to end up.

I have 5 acres, half wooded, so I usually take down a few dead hard-enough
wood trees per year that I burn inside over the winter. I don't chip any of
that, I use every bit of the tree for the wood pile. The medium and small
stuff is key for a good fire IMHO.

I am thinking that if I bought one it would not be nearly as good as the one
I rented and I would be full of chagrin when I used it due to slowness and
incapability. It depends on what one is planning to feed it I suppose. If
I had a property full of pine that I would not burn inside perhaps I would
have a different viewpoint, but my normal harvest is hard-enough wood so I
just stack it all.
Tomes

Old 02-06-2006, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Laumann

On 22 May 2006 02:01:58 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

I've could really use a chipper/shredder. Something to handle up to 1.5-2
inch material. Recommendations?

I had the chance to use a Kemp unit some years ago - we had brush
down all over the place due to an ice storm - it tore the stuff up.
Very nice unit - also a very $pendy unit.

I've now got a Craftsman (MTD) that I bought from a co-worker. 5hp
Briggs. Starts and runs well, shreds leaves etc like a demon (best
when dry), but as a chipper, its got a long way to go (1st use as a
chipper yesterday).

Had some dry box elder and ash. It did a number on the stuff up to
about a 3/4". Once it was bigger than that, especially w/ the ash,
it had to work. Found that if I rotated the branches in the chipping
shoot, so the material was changing angles in relation to the chipper
blade it worked the best.

If I was to do it over, and had the cash - it would be a Kemp -
err..... assuming I could find one - I just DAGS "Kemp Chipper
Shredder" and it looks like they are out of business - that or they
don't have a web presence. You might be able to find something in
the used market. There is one listed in Ebay at this time - Chicago
are - and no - its not mine....

Jim