Old 22-05-2006, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default lawnmower blade

i have a craftsman 3 blade ride on mower and one day after mowing a
field of tall grass i turned the blades off, the center blade just
fell off the shaft onto the ground.
i just thought it a fluke wierd thing, so i sharpened the blade and
took the other two blades off to sharpen and balance them as well,then
put them back on.
excited to mow with sharp blades i started her up and took off for the
field.it worked perfectly.
i mowed the field and when finished i shut the blades off only to find
the
end blade had droped off the shaft.
i thought perhaps i had not tightened the bolt enough, so i torqued it
down as much as i could.
just to find that on a trial blade run it does the same thing. quite
frusterating-
i cannot find anything on lawnmower blades just falling off.
does anyone have any suggestions???

Old 23-05-2006, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

i thought so at first, but checked immidiately, and that's not it.
i wondered if perhaps the blades were clipping each other causing one
of them to unscrew the bolt, but there seems to be clearance.
thanks though-

Old 23-05-2006, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Put some red Loctite on it.

Old 23-05-2006, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:20:06 -0700, redskygroup wrote:

i thought so at first, but checked immidiately, and that's not it. i
wondered if perhaps the blades were clipping each other causing one of
them to unscrew the bolt, but there seems to be clearance. thanks though-

If the blades made contact, you and the rest of the neighborhood would
know for sure! The noise and the resulting damage would be quite obvious.
The bolt should never "loosen" up by it's self. The bolts always (in every
mower I've ever had) screw down the opposite direction of the blade spin.
So in theory the bolt should tighten while the blade spins.

I asked my toro guy about the bolt loosening up and that's what he said.
Then he took me out back, hand tightened my blade bolts, started the
blades for a mineut and shut it down. He lifted the deck and I checked the
blades and they were on good and tight. I needed a socket set to get them
off again. By no means should one do this to install the blades, but the
exercise was all about showing me that the blade bolts are ment to self
tighten and if I screwed up the blade install I should be safe.

I would suspect that you have a bad bolt, a bad spindel or bad blade. Look
to see if the bolt has been striped or is worn somehow. Mount the blade
and see if the blade is bent. A bent blade could vibrate the bolt off.
Last, inspect the spindel to ensure that the threads are not damaged and
the spindel is not bent.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info/
Old 23-05-2006, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

Timothy wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:20:06 -0700, redskygroup wrote:

I would suspect that you have a bad bolt, a bad spindel or bad
blade.
Look to see if the bolt has been striped or is worn somehow. Mount
the blade and see if the blade is bent. A bent blade could vibrate
the bolt off. Last, inspect the spindel to ensure that the threads
are not damaged and the spindel is not bent.

If it is belt drive with a twist in the belt, a wrong twist would
cause 1 blade to go in the wrong direction. The belt on that blade
needs to be flipped. That's my guess.
Tom J

Old 24-05-2006, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I would get a new set of bolts to eliminate that as a variable. They are
cheap.
Tomes

Old 25-05-2006, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

have had that problem on push mower,went with grade 8 bolt ,lock washer
and heavy thick washer.

Old 25-05-2006, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

wrote:
have had that problem on push mower,went with grade 8 bolt ,lock
washer and heavy thick washer.

CAUTION!!! A grade 8 bolt is too brittle for that application! I still
believe the belt is twisted the wrong way and running the blade in
reverse.

Tom J

Old 25-05-2006, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

grade 8 bolt brittle???? now thats a nrw one..

Old 25-05-2006, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

wrote in message
grade 8 bolt brittle???? now thats a nrw one..

Grade 8 bolts are brittle. And it's not a new one. If a high strength bolt
is required, use a military spec bolt. Or use grade 5, which is sufficiently
strong and much more ductile.

Old 25-05-2006, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Chas Hurst wrote:
wrote in message
grade 8 bolt brittle???? now thats a nrw one..

Grade 8 bolts are brittle. And it's not a new one. If a high strength bolt
is required, use a military spec bolt. Or use grade 5, which is sufficiently
strong and much more ductile.

The manual for my mower says to use grade 5.
Old 25-05-2006, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

wrote:
grade 8 bolt brittle???? now thats a nrw one..

That's the reason I cautioned about using them, because I knew you
didn't have a clue about the use of different grade bolts. I suggest
you read up on metal grades before suggesting someone switch bolts on
anything. The one thing I've seen the most mis-used in my years as a
mechanic is grade 8 bolts.

Tom J

question about lawnmower blade noise [email protected] Lawns 10 05-04-2008 01:38 AM
747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower Hansi Gardening 2 13-07-2006 10:24 AM
LawnMower Blade Steve Gardening 5 03-06-2005 03:33 PM
riding lawnmower blade question Snydley Lawns 9 14-05-2004 12:02 PM
How do I remove and replace the lawnmower blade? Brigitte J. Lawns 28 28-05-2003 07:08 AM