Old 11-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Willy Skass

Default A Privet Hedge Question

We are planning putting in a privet hedge along one edge of our
property. At the present time, there is a four foot high chain link
fence installed by my neighbor. We want to put the hedge in for
privacy and safety (neighbors have 3 large dogs who can, and do, jump
the fence).

I know to place the individual plants one to two feet apart, but how
far from the fence must I be in order for them to not grow into the
next yard?

I hope I asked the question correctly, I'm far from being a gardener.

TIA

Old 12-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Timothy

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:22:25 +0000, Willy Skass wrote:

We are planning putting in a privet hedge along one edge of our property.
At the present time, there is a four foot high chain link fence installed
by my neighbor. We want to put the hedge in for privacy and safety
(neighbors have 3 large dogs who can, and do, jump the fence).

I know to place the individual plants one to two feet apart, but how far
from the fence must I be in order for them to not grow into the next yard?

I hope I asked the question correctly, I'm far from being a gardener.

Privets can get large if you let them. No matter what you'll have to
maintain (hedge) the shrub once a year maybe more. The problem is the
chain link fence. Commercial hedgers will cut up the chain fence it they
catch a hold of it and not to mention the damage that happens to the
hedgers. It would be ideal if there was a 'maintaince' path between the
hedge and the fence. One can safely work with a 2 foot wide path. So you
would first need to think about how wide and tall you wish this hedge to
be then add 2 to that width.
3 feet is maintainable and rather wide for a
dog to jump. So you would devide 3 feet (1.5) and add 2 feet and end up
with 3.5 feet for the center of your shrub. So you plant your shrubs 3.5
feet from the fence.
At least that's the way I'd end up doing it... but you can use your own
numbers. Good luck 80)

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Punch

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:22:25 +0000, Willy Skass wrote:

We are planning putting in a privet hedge along one edge of our

property.
At the present time, there is a four foot high chain link fence

installed
by my neighbor. We want to put the hedge in for privacy and safety
(neighbors have 3 large dogs who can, and do, jump the fence).

1st put up a 6-8' chain link back to back of his
2nd plant your tress about 2 feet from the fence, and if he has a problem
with any of it growing through, tell him to cut it.

punch

Privet Hedge Neil Robertson United Kingdom 11 15-02-2004 12:44 AM
Good company for a privet hedge? PJ United Kingdom 2 11-08-2003 12:32 PM
Kickstarting new privet hedge Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 0 15-04-2003 06:44 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 09:55 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 09:19 AM