Old 28-05-2006, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mark Corbelli

Default small engine repair

Someone gave me an IDC (now Ryobi) 32cc cultivator and I'm trying to get it
started. It's getting a spark as I can get it to run for a few seconds. I've
put in fresh gas, I took out the carb and shot cleaner through the jets.
Anyone know a site or a newsgroup that may help me?

Thanks

Old 28-05-2006, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
GrtArtiste

Inquire at the Small Engine Technical Forum
http://www.perr.com/forum/

Be prepared to provide complete model-serial numbers for the engine
(and carburetor if possible). Many knowledgeable folks there. Write
back if they were able to help you.

Also try www.opeonthenet.com

GrtArtiste

Old 28-05-2006, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
spamno

"Mark Corbelli" corbellicrewatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
Someone gave me an IDC (now Ryobi) 32cc cultivator and I'm trying to get

it
started. It's getting a spark as I can get it to run for a few seconds.

A good sign and in itself, eliminates lots of other possible problems.

I've
put in fresh gas, I took out the carb and shot cleaner through the jets.

It sounds like carburetion to me. You were on the right track there, but I
think you missed a couple things. Did you inspect the float, needle, bowl,
and seat? Or the same areas if a diaphragm type? Disassemble the carb and
clean/inspect. Use a safety wire to ensure all the passages are clear.
Adjust the float (or diaphragm) and reassemble. I think this is causing your
problems.

Old 28-05-2006, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mark Corbelli

Yes, my plan exactly for today. I'm not all that great on
disassembly/assembly but I'll take digital pics along the way so I can
remember which peice went where.

Old 28-05-2006, 05:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
spamno

"Mark Corbelli" corbellicrewatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
. ..
Yes, my plan exactly for today. I'm not all that great on
disassembly/assembly but I'll take digital pics along the way so I can
remember which peice went where.

I take lots of pics too as I suffer from CRS.

(Can't Remember Shit)

Old 28-05-2006, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mark Corbelli

OK so I worked on the carb and got this thing running. I was trying to
adjust the needle valves and now it won't run. I think it's flooding. There
are two needle valves. what is the best way to work on these adjustments?

Old 28-05-2006, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
spamno

"Mark Corbelli" corbellicrewatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
OK so I worked on the carb and got this thing running. I was trying to
adjust the needle valves and now it won't run. I think it's flooding.

There
are two needle valves. what is the best way to work on these adjustments?

I usually run the needle all the way in (with my fingers ONLY) and bring it
out 1.5 to 2 turns. If it's still flooding, turn it in a little. If it's
starving, bring it out a little.

Old 29-05-2006, 05:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mark Corbelli

I thought I had this finished but there are still issues. What I did so far
is I took of the carb, took it apart, soaked it in parts cleaner, and blew
out all the channels. I put it back together, installed it, and got it
running. I have experimented with the needle adjustments, and it seemed to
run OK by backing out each one 1 and a half turns. By the way, why are there
two needle valves and which does what? One is a little longer than the
other. The shorter one had markings on the housing where it fits in that say
L and H, so I take it that means Low and High. There are also two gas hoses
into this and I wondered why two? Today, I went out to put the plastic cover
back over the carb area and there was gas in there. The throat of the carb
wasn't flooded, so there must be gas leaking out around a connection, but
where? Also, there was a few drops of oil dripping from the low spot on the
muffler. It also wouldn't start without very much effort. I know the oil/gas
mixture is right. I also put in a new spark plug even though the old one
looked fine. I was wondering if the two rubber gaskets that have some
apparent function need replaced. They would be old too. But where to find
them when the machine is 20 years old and the company was bought out by
Ryobi since then?

Old 29-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Benbo

"Mark Corbelli" corbellicrewatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
I thought I had this finished but there are still issues. What I did so

far
is I took of the carb, took it apart, soaked it in parts cleaner, and blew
out all the channels. I put it back together, installed it, and got it
running. I have experimented with the needle adjustments, and it seemed to
run OK by backing out each one 1 and a half turns. By the way, why are

there
two needle valves and which does what?

One will be your 'low speed' jet (or idle) & the other is 'high speed'

One is a little longer than the
other. The shorter one had markings on the housing where it fits in that

say
L and H, so I take it that means Low and High. There are also two gas

hoses
into this and I wondered why two?

Some systems pressurize the tank so It could be air to the tank.

Today, I went out to put the plastic cover
back over the carb area and there was gas in there. The throat of the carb
wasn't flooded, so there must be gas leaking out around a connection, but
where? Also, there was a few drops of oil dripping from the low spot on

the
muffler. It also wouldn't start without very much effort. I know the

oil/gas
mixture is right. I also put in a new spark plug even though the old one
looked fine. I was wondering if the two rubber gaskets that have some
apparent function need replaced. They would be old too. But where to find
them when the machine is 20 years old and the company was bought out by
Ryobi since then?

Sometimes a 'third party' will produce parts- it's just a matter of
researching to locate them. Search the web, call up mechanics, talk to
folks.

Old 30-05-2006, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Mark Corbelli wrote:
company was bought out by
Ryobi since then?

Ryobi did not buy out IDC. IDC or Inertia Dynamics makes the engine only
and they sell them to many trimmer mfgs like Ryobi.

Any half decent small engine shop will be able to supply you parts. The
carb is most likely made by Walbro.

--
Art

Old 01-06-2006, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mark Corbelli

I've now given up. I found the right rebuild kit and replaced all the
internal parts I could, but the darn thing still is getting too much gas. I
think that's what is happening because all day there is a puddle under the
thing even though I haven't touched it for hours. I screwed the high and low
idle adjustments all the way in and watched the piston through where the air
cleaner goes and you can still see excess gas entering the cylinder. Where's
all the gas coming from?