Old 29-05-2006, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jack Snodgrass

Default Sprinkler Contoll Question

I'm trying to figure out how a sprinkler system works that
I've recently inherited maintenance of...

I have a sprinkler control that is attached directly to the
sprinkler valve that is buried in the ground in a valve box.
(most of the sprinkler systems I've used in the past have
a central control that runs control wires to the individual
valves ) This one is a ( rainbird I think... but I didn't see
any similar designs on their website ) single zone controller
that looks like you can set up 6 different programs. It is
attached directly to the valve that it controls. There is a
LCD display that gives status information.

In the system that I have, there are two zones and two
of these controllers. One works... the LCD display shows
data and I can switch it to 'manual on' and it activates
the valve for 10 minutes. The other one does not work..
the display is dead and switching to Manual mode does not
do anything. I can turn the valve bypass knob and get the
watter flowing and spraying... the mechanical part seems
to work... its' the electrical part that is dead...

So... my general question is... do you think that this is
a battery operated controller and the battery is dead or
does power have to be coming to the controller from an
outside source ( I don't see any extra wires... but the
hole is dirty and dark... )? I'm not sure if a few D-Cell
batteries or a 9volt battery would be enough to run the
valve or if there is a outside power source that I'm not
seeing...

Is anyone familiar with this kind of controller? These
controllers are in the same valve box... If they have
to run power to these... why not put the controller
somewhere else and run the control lines to the valves
instead of separate controllers?

Thanks - jack
--
D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

jack - Grapevine/Richardson
Old 30-05-2006, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

I am not familiar with that type of system, but I can tell you that the
valves are NOT run on batteries. They usually require 24 volts. Yes,
the controller itself could be powered by a battery, but that is not likely.

Your setup as you have described it is really weird.

Good luck !!

--James--

Old 30-05-2006, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
DP

Yes, there are battery operated controllers. They usually work on a 9 volt
battery. I would say that one of your batteries is dead, and therefore no
display. On the Rainbird web site, they show several models of this type of
valve controller. The have owner's manuals available to download. If you
have any model numbers, etc. do a search at the web site. If you search for
Easy Rain controllers, you will find two current models of single valve
battery controllers. You may have a discontinued model, but the manuals
are usually available.

DP

Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jack Snodgrass

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:17:25 -0400, Jim wrote:

I am not familiar with that type of system, but I can tell you that the
valves are NOT run on batteries. They usually require 24 volts. Yes,
the controller itself could be powered by a battery, but that is not likely.

Your setup as you have described it is really weird.

Good luck !!

--James--

Well... it is a "Nelson" controller ( I've never heard of them
before ) and not a RainBird controller. It is battery
operated. Here is a link to a picture if anyone wants to see
what it looks like.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Cu...ist.asp?PID=42

Suposedly, the battery should last for 10 years... but I don't
think that it's that old. I guess for an application where you
don't have readily available power, this is ok....

jack

Old 02-06-2006, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
DP

L R Nelson has been a solid and somewhat known manufacturer of turf
equipment for many years. Google on LRNelson, and when you get to their web
site, go to the 'landscape and turf". From there you can click on the model
you have and then download the instructions. They have the part number for
the replacement battery, but may also be available at a local Batteries Plus
store, or Radio Shack, etc..

This will also tell you how to program the valve, etc..