Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Sacamano

Default Mushrooms on Lawn ?

last year I had a local guy come in with his bobcat and remove 3 inches
of soil and replace with "better soil" this was in response to a soil
test I had done where I was told to just "Start Over" ! The lawn was
hydro seeded and came in very slowly and I ended up burning it with too
much starter fertilizer. This year it was not coming back so a buddy of
mine with his brand new $3000.00 aerator machine came in did his thing
and then hit it with a ton of seed and starter fertilizer and now the
lawn looks the best it has ever.. Except for some mushrooms here and
there.. btw.. this lawn is in the North East.

Why am I getting mushrooms?

How do get rid of them - chemically? I read if I dig them out along
with 2 inches of surround soil that would work but I would rather not..

What happens if I eat these mushrooms? I am told the lawn will look
even better to me if I do.. ;-) - I am just kidding if you can answer
the first 2 questions - Thank you.

Bob

Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Bob Sacamano wrote:

Why am I getting mushrooms?

Acid soil. You could take a mixture of 5 samples to a local Extension
Service and have it analyzed to verify that.

How do get rid of them - chemically?

Apply lime, real lime, not pelletized limestone. Buy it in a tile
supply store. It will be about $5 per 50 lb bag.

Lime is messy to apply and I'm hoping that the new "pH Plus" and "Liquid
Lime" will work out. They are applied with a hose-end sprayer. My
first purchase was $30 for a 5000 sqft bottle. But the sprayer lacked a
gasket and leaked all over. I had to revert to a standard pump sprayer.

Note that lime will also combat moss. I've got a few test cases going
on that. Ask me at the end of the summer what happened!

I read if I dig them out along
with 2 inches of surround soil that would work but I would rather not..

You should post your chiropractor's name and number.

What happens if I eat these mushrooms?

You'll either die or you'll get very sick.

I found myself at a meeting of the Boston Micological society about 40
years ago. One of the presentations was by a lady who had been picking
and identifying mushrooms for 14 years. That was the first time she had
the courage to eat a wild mushroom that she had identified.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Stubby said:

Bob Sacamano wrote:

Why am I getting mushrooms?

Acid soil.

Bullshit. The OP is in the northeast. It's Spring. It's cool. It's damp.

THAT'S why they've got mushrooms.

You could take a mixture of 5 samples to a local Extension
Service and have it analyzed to verify that.

Yup, they could do that. But it would most likely be a waste of time.

How do get rid of them - chemically?

Apply lime, real lime, not pelletized limestone. Buy it in a tile
supply store. It will be about $5 per 50 lb bag.

Or, wait until the weather warms up, dries out, and then no more mushrooms.
Controlling mushrooms, chemically, could very well depend upon the type of
mushroom, which wasn't stated. Lime isn't some kind of wonder treatment for
everything.

Lime is messy to apply and I'm hoping that the new "pH Plus" and "Liquid
Lime" will work out. They are applied with a hose-end sprayer. My
first purchase was $30 for a 5000 sqft bottle. But the sprayer lacked a
gasket and leaked all over. I had to revert to a standard pump sprayer.

Note that lime will also combat moss. I've got a few test cases going
on that. Ask me at the end of the summer what happened!

What's your control group? What other factors in each area of your *cough*
"tests" are identical? What are different? Your test results will be quite
skewed without those other factors.

I read if I dig them out along
with 2 inches of surround soil that would work but I would rather not..

You should post your chiropractor's name and number.

You should refrain from posting when you're clooless about the subject. You
seem to do that quite often, you know.

Digging them out is one, very effective way, of conrolling the fungus.
Patience until the cool, wet weather is over, is another.
Fungicides (after first determining the species of mushroom) is yet
another.

What happens if I eat these mushrooms?

You'll either die or you'll get very sick.

Again, bullshit. You have NO IDEA what kind of mushroom is coming up in the
lawn. Very many wild mushrooms are edible. Your two scenarios are NOT the
only possible results from ingesting the mushrooms in question. Or, were
you trying, vainly, to be humorous? A smiley goes a long way, in text, to
convey such a response.

I found myself at a meeting of the Boston Micological society about 40
years ago. One of the presentations was by a lady who had been picking
and identifying mushrooms for 14 years. That was the first time she had
the courage to eat a wild mushroom that she had identified.

The point of your anecdote with regards to the OP? Ahh, nothing. Same as
the quality of your advice. Perhaps you should lurk more?

--
Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"Bob Sacamano" wrote in message
last year I had a local guy come in with his bobcat and remove 3 inches of
soil and replace with "better soil" this was in response to a soil test I
had done where I was told to just "Start Over" ! The lawn was hydro
seeded and came in very slowly and I ended up burning it with too much
starter fertilizer. This year it was not coming back so a buddy of mine
with his brand new $3000.00 aerator machine came in did his thing and then
hit it with a ton of seed and starter fertilizer and now the lawn looks
the best it has ever.. Except for some mushrooms here and there.. btw..
this lawn is in the North East.

Why am I getting mushrooms?

Moisture and cool temperature.

How do get rid of them - chemically? I read if I dig them out along with
2 inches of surround soil that would work but I would rather not..

Just leave it alone, keep it mowed. The summer sun will cause their demise.

What happens if I eat these mushrooms? I am told the lawn will look even
better to me if I do.. ;-) - I am just kidding if you can answer the
first 2 questions - Thank you.

A number of things depending on the species. Again, leave them alone.

Nature is the opposite of corporate insight. The least intrusion results
with the most benefits. The more investment, the lesser the return at one
point. You've definitely got to that point. The aerator turns the soil
etc. With that, mixes all present foliage with it. Guess what the
mushrooms are eating?
--
Jonny

Old 03-06-2006, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Sacamano

Jonny wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for all the advice.. I will just leave them alone.. I
just wasn't sure if the presence of mushrooms was an indication of
something else I would have to deal with..

Old 03-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Some mushrooms in a lawn are normal and nothing to worry about. They
grow in cool, wet conditions. In a few more weeks, they will be gone.

Also, it sounds like you are still establishing a lawn. If you are
still watering, that is a big factor. Once you take the moisture away,
the mushrooms will go too.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JerseyMike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Some mushrooms in a lawn are normal and nothing to worry about. They
grow in cool, wet conditions. In a few more weeks, they will be gone.

Also, it sounds like you are still establishing a lawn. If you are
still watering, that is a big factor. Once you take the moisture away,
the mushrooms will go too.

i too came in looking for help w/ 'shrooms. i live in ocean county,NJ and
every year i have a problem w/ the mushrooms. right now i'm the only one w/
on my street w/ them and they drive me nuts. i'm not a lawn freak, i try to
keep the lawn looking good, but why does it seem 'shrooms like my lawn
better? i have south west exposure, so by 10:30 every day i get sun on the
front of the house and it lasts all day. the front is the only place i get
the mushrooms, except for the back yard near my grill and only get a few
located in one spot. in the front they spread like wild fire. yesterday i
had a couple of patches w/ about 12 or so 'shrooms in each patch but this
morning after rain over night, those patches spread and there are about 2
dozen or more in each patch. i have very little to almost zero shade in the
front and i have some new trees i planted last year on the lawn, but the
mushrooms problem has been pestering me for a few seasons. if i don't
water the lawn it burns very easy from the intense sune exposure in the dead
of summer, but if i water regularly (about 30-45 minutes per area) the lawn
looks good but the 'shrooms start to appear and if i cut back on the
watering, the lawn burns. we have sandy soil beneth the top soil in our
area.

the 'shrooms on my yard are whiteish in color, narrow stalk, caps that looks
to be about the size of a quater. i know they are a fungus, but what will
get rid of them and not damage the lawn.

any help????