Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

Default How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

I read the crabgrass tip with vinegar, will try that; this is a helpful
group as I have had that problem ever since I lived here for over 30
years, was just out digging some up trying to get as much root as
possible because I didn't dig out enough when I planted a new flowerbed
in front of the house. I did purchase some of that black landscape
stuff, but will need help getting it installed, but it should help some,
but I doubt it will stop all of it..

Over the years, we have these two kinds of climbing horrors (I guess
they're pretty if you want them). One I'm sure if 5-leaf ivy, the stuff
people used to grow up their chimneys in the midwest anyway. The other
kind, I don't know the name of, but I'm pretty sure it isn't poison ivy,
looks like wild grape a little but no fruit. The stuff will grow over
your whole house and garage if you let it.

If it is important, I can take a photo of some somewhere around here,
got most of mine off the house (off but still popping up ready to go as
soon as I turn my back on it, but in the lawn), seems to like partial
shade, doesn't grow at all or very little in the full sun.

I pull and pull the stuff and sometimes get a big chunk of root, a foot
if I'm lucky but it just shoots up somewhere else. With so many of the
neighbors having this problem which has now worsened in my yard, does
anyone know the best way or any way to either get rid of the stuff or
keep it at bay better than pulling all the time. I swear it must spread
those underground root systems they develop from a quite a ways away.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

I Love Lucy said:

I read the crabgrass tip with vinegar, will try that; this is a helpful
group as I have had that problem ever since I lived here for over 30
years, was just out digging some up trying to get as much root as
possible because I didn't dig out enough when I planted a new flowerbed
in front of the house. I did purchase some of that black landscape
stuff, but will need help getting it installed, but it should help some,
but I doubt it will stop all of it..

Over the years, we have these two kinds of climbing horrors (I guess
they're pretty if you want them). One I'm sure if 5-leaf ivy, the stuff
people used to grow up their chimneys in the midwest anyway.

Are you talking about Virginia Creeper?

The other
kind, I don't know the name of, but I'm pretty sure it isn't poison ivy,
looks like wild grape a little but no fruit. The stuff will grow over
your whole house and garage if you let it.

Virginia Creeper quite often grows along side poison ivy.

snip

anyone know the best way or any way to either get rid of the stuff or
keep it at bay better than pulling all the time. I swear it must spread
those underground root systems they develop from a quite a ways away.

Cut them back to a few inches from the ground, and then paint them with a
half-strength solution of triclopyr. Everything above the cut will wither
and die, and the herbicide will do the rest. Painting it on with a
paintbrush will give you better control over the herbicide if there are
plants in the area that you would like to keep.

--
Eggs

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
I Love Lucy said:

I read the crabgrass tip with vinegar, will try that; this is a
helpful
group as I have had that problem ever since I lived here for over 30
years, was just out digging some up trying to get as much root as
possible because I didn't dig out enough when I planted a new
flowerbed
in front of the house. I did purchase some of that black landscape
stuff, but will need help getting it installed, but it should help
some,
but I doubt it will stop all of it..

Over the years, we have these two kinds of climbing horrors (I guess
they're pretty if you want them). One I'm sure if 5-leaf ivy, the
stuff
people used to grow up their chimneys in the midwest anyway.

Are you talking about Virginia Creeper?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what the 5-leaved stuff is called.

The other
kind, I don't know the name of, but I'm pretty sure it isn't poison
ivy,
looks like wild grape a little but no fruit. The stuff will grow
over
your whole house and garage if you let it.

Virginia Creeper quite often grows along side poison ivy.

That is no doubt true, but poison ivy has shinier leaves, the kind I can
identify anyway. There is so much of the other vine around the
neighborhood, we would have had more cases of poison ivy if that is what
it is because several neighbors are probably fighting it, and we pull it
with our bare hands sometimes. The front of the house across the street
is covered with the "other" vine now; I'll have to look more closely to
be sure it isn't VC. I'll see if I can get a photo of it. Mom runs a
day care center, so I doubt they would let poison ivy climb their house.
I do think they should not let it take over because it can get under the
siding and it is now at the rooftop, and it would not be good for it to
get under the shingles.

snip

anyone know the best way or any way to either get rid of the stuff or
keep it at bay better than pulling all the time. I swear it must
spread
those underground root systems they develop from a quite a ways away.

Cut them back to a few inches from the ground, and then paint them
with a
half-strength solution of triclopyr. Everything above the cut will
wither
and die, and the herbicide will do the rest. Painting it on with a
paintbrush will give you better control over the herbicide if there
are
plants in the area that you would like to keep.

If you cut them back, nothing is going to be growing above it unless,
sorry I don't get that part. However, I hadn't heard of that stuff and
will try it. Thanks a bunch. That's one reason I'm leery of having
Chem Lawn come and spray because I'm worried the mist could drift and
damage my flowers which are just seedlings at this point and some larger
ones I set out by the garage. Painting it on would give me a lot more
control although it will be tedious as there is so much of it. I would
have to do it little by little.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

Default Here's what the other stuff looks like (links to 2 photos)

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

Looks like there may be two kinds, one with a triple leaf and one with a
single, grapelike leaf, although it could be the same species. How do
you get rid of this without pulling it down, same treatment as with the
5-leaf kind?

http://www.white-peacock.com/Ivy.jpg

Here's what happens if you allow it to grow unchecked:

http://www.white-peacock.com/Ivy2.jpg

Old 03-06-2006, 04:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

I Love Lucy said:

If you cut them back, nothing is going to be growing above it unless,
sorry I don't get that part.

By that I meant, since you've severed the vine from it's roots (food
source), the vine above the cut will die, and then be easily removed.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. =)

I believe the common name for triclopyr is Brush-B-Gone.

HTH
--
Eggs

-A man who lives in a glass house should change in the basement.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

I Love Lucy wrote:
[...]

I believe poison oak has five leaves. Google it.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

I believe poison oak has five leaves. Google it.

I did. It usually has 3 leaves but sometimes 5. My 5-leaved vine is
not poison oak, leaves are shiny, differently shaped. I doubt if the
other is poison oak either, but it looks a little like it. Some people
do have a horrid reaction to it. If it were poison oak, since it is so
ubiquitous in the neighborhood, I'm reasonably certain that someone
would have tried to get help from the city erradicating it and word
would surely have gotten around about it.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I Love Lucy wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

I believe poison oak has five leaves. Google it.

I did. It usually has 3 leaves but sometimes 5. My 5-leaved vine is
not poison oak, leaves are shiny, differently shaped. I doubt if the
other is poison oak either, but it looks a little like it. Some people
do have a horrid reaction to it. If it were poison oak, since it is so
ubiquitous in the neighborhood, I'm reasonably certain that someone
would have tried to get help from the city erradicating it and word
would surely have gotten around about it.

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

wrote in message
ups.com...

I Love Lucy wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Some areas I could spray because they are presently unplanted. Would it
affect future roses and flowers I hope to plant there? For other areas,
it would be better to use the paintbrush and the triclopyr method as I
wouldn't want to ruin what is already planted there, sparse though it
be. I'm even afraid to have Chem Lawn come and spray the lawn for fear
spray would drift onto my new plants. I suppose I could ask them about
that, but I would definitely need a second opinion . . .here or on
another forum I frequent. This one is more active so you usually don't
have to wait very long for answers. Today they have been almost
instantaneous which is amazing. ID'ed couple birds on the bird group,
got a handle on what to do with this annoying vine, and an almost
instantaneous answer about a lily question. Amazing.

I added your info to my file on this matter. Thanks much!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

I Love Lucy said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

I doubt a 3% solution of Roundup will kill such a mature vine.

Either herbicide will work. But I'd still recommend tryclopyr. It's
selective, as the googlegrouper said, but it's selective towards woody,
broadleaf plants (exactly what you're trying to kill).

More reading on both products:
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/triclopy.htm
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/glyphosa.htm

HTH
--
Eggs

-Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
I Love Lucy said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

I doubt a 3% solution of Roundup will kill such a mature vine.

Have you ever tried it? I've routinely used it on mature poison ivy
and it works very well. On ground based poison ivy, I just spray it on.
If it's a large vine going up a tree, with no accessible leaves, I cut
it, wait till new growth emerges, then spray it a month later. Never
had to brush it on.

In my experience the broad spectrum total vegetation type killers have
always been more effective than a selective herbicide, where there is a
tradeoff on what it will and won't kill. For example, triclopyr is
used for clover control in lawns. It usually takes at least two
applications to control it. The first tends to just stunt it. If you
sprayed that with Roundup or another total vegetation killer, it would
be dead the first time, but so would the grass.

As to the OP's question of future planting following Roundup, it's safe
to replant a week after application.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

wrote in message
ups.com...

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
I Love Lucy said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Also in response to eggs info. I guess the bottom line is that I hate
messing with poisons. But sometimes it has to be done. I was
wondering if I could cover my 3 hostas, one mallow and a fern, with
double plastic bags and give it a good spray. This fall I will seed the
whole area with partial shade loving wildflowers. There will probably
be a battle for survival, but if I can just keep the nuisance stuff in
check, that would be a positive outcome, even if I have to keep whacking
and pulling some of it off.

Obviously if no leaves are allowed to remain, it would eventually die
off, but new invasive roots would move in from neighboring areas, but I
wonder how long that would take? Oddly, my son used to work for Chem
Lawn and sprayed the whole spot (I have other problem areas) with some
stuff that kills all vegetation for 5 years. I didn't like it then, and
somehow that fern survived that.

I potted up a little oak tree from the area and thought I was going to
lose it because the leaves were turning brown on the edges. Now I see
new leaves are starting to form in the tip.

Most of that stuff shuns sunny areas, so at least I don't have to battle
the stuff in the whole yard. It seems to like north, partial sun partly
shaded east, so far little or none in the mostly shaded west side of the
house, and none on the south. But those photos I posted, one is my next
door neighbor, and there is some on the south side of his house. That's
where it migrated from, most of it. They had a terrible problem with it
and ignored it for years, allowing it to develop massive underground
root systems. Now he has gotten rid of most of it because he completely
rehabbed the house and lawn, so in time, maybe we'll get it under
control.

I thought about planting black cap raspberries there. Would that win
the battle eventually if I keep it from climbing anything?

Thanks for all the good info and links.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Another trick for applying herbicides is to use two pairs of gloves.
First put on some good, long-sleeve "rubber" gloves to protect yourself.
Next, use a pair of cheap cotton gloves. Soak up the first finger
(maybe thumb, too) in the herbicide and use the other hand to position
the target leaves. This allows leaf-at-a-time application without spraying.

I Love Lucy wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
I Love Lucy said:

ups.com...

Old 04-06-2006, 07:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
I Love Lucy said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

I doubt a 3% solution of Roundup will kill such a mature vine.

Have you ever tried it? I've routinely used it on mature poison ivy
and it works very well. On ground based poison ivy, I just spray it on.
If it's a large vine going up a tree, with no accessible leaves, I cut
it, wait till new growth emerges, then spray it a month later.

I use it often at work, when the need arises, to kill all green growth in
an area (hardscape joints, cool-seaason grasses trying to come through
dormant zoysia, etc.).

Never had to brush it on.

Then you never tried to selectively remove plants. You take the lazy way
and just kill off the entire area. In the case of clover, Dacamine would be
a MUCH better choice of a herbicide than triclopyr. Triclopyr is better
suited to *woody* plants (such as the ivy in question).

In my experience the broad spectrum total vegetation type killers have
always been more effective than a selective herbicide, where there is a
tradeoff on what it will and won't kill.

Of course, if you don't care about the surrounding vegetation, then a
"total vegetation type killer" will do the job. Using specific chemicals,
for specific applications, is MUCH more efficient.

I'm curious as to just what your "experience" with the multitude of
herbicides on the market, is. Killing clover and plantain in your backyard?

For example, triclopyr is
used for clover control in lawns. It usually takes at least two
applications to control it. The first tends to just stunt it. If you
sprayed that with Roundup or another total vegetation killer, it would
be dead the first time, but so would the grass.

Yup. Then you're left replacing much more vegetation than necessary. And, I
don't know anyone that uses triclopyr to kill clover, when dacamine does
the job in one application, at the same time doing NO harm to the
surrounding turf grasses.

As to the OP's question of future planting following Roundup, it's safe
to replant a week after application.

snip

I'll leave you the links below. You could obviously use them. When you've
finished, do a search on dacamine.

More reading on both products:
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/triclopy.htm
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/glyphosa.htm

HTH
--
Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 04:17 PM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 05:07 PM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 10:56 PM