Old 04-06-2006, 08:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RJS

Default Planting Under Walnut Trees

Hi,

Our backyard has about 8 huge walnut trees. We want to create an English
style garden within this area which obviously is quite shady. We've heard
that walnut trees poison the soil and not everything can grow in this area -
would someone offer suggestions as to what would be good to plant in this
garde?

Thanks.....

Randy.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

RJS wrote:
Hi,

Our backyard has about 8 huge walnut trees. We want to create an
English style garden within this area which obviously is quite
shady.
We've heard that walnut trees poison the soil and not everything can
grow in this area - would someone offer suggestions as to what would
be good to plant in this garde?

Thanks.....

Randy.

I don't have walnut trees, because every time I see 1 sprout up, I dig
it out by the roots. I do a lot of camping & every campground that
I've ever stayed in that had a walnut grove had nothing else growing
there except a few weeds.

Tom J

Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
frOg

"RJS" wrote in message
Hi,

Our backyard has about 8 huge walnut trees. We want to create an English
style garden within this area which obviously is quite shady. We've heard
that walnut trees poison the soil and not everything can grow in this

area -
would someone offer suggestions as to what would be good to plant in this
garde?

I have a huge English Walnut and yes, it is difficult to get even grass to
grow under it. My riding mower has great suction and I mow frequently to
keep the debris cleaned up so my grass will grow. If you plant anything
else, keep in mind the maintenance of cleaning up the walnut debris.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RJS

Yes you're correct about that. It seems like there's about 4 stages to the
crap that falls from the trees. First in the spring there's long thin seed
type things that fall along with thousands of little balls (seeds?) then in
the fall there's long thin twig type things that fall along with the walnuts
(the size of golf balls) and the leaves.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
frOg

"RJS" wrote in message
Yes you're correct about that. It seems like there's about 4 stages to the
crap that falls from the trees.

Only four? Geez, this monster is dropping crap all the time!

Ok, so it 'pauses' sometimes while it gets ready for the next batch. :-)

Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
newsreader

RJS wrote:
Hi,

Our backyard has about 8 huge walnut trees. We want to create an English
style garden within this area which obviously is quite shady. We've heard
that walnut trees poison the soil and not everything can grow in this area -
would someone offer suggestions as to what would be good to plant in this
garde?

Thanks.....

Randy.

I have a similar situation. Most of the area under my roughly 2'
diameter Black Walnut trees is shaggy lawn, which seems to be staying
green in spite of what I have read about them killing grass.

There is a large cluster of (wild?) lilacs that seems to be unaffected
by the Walnut toxins. All around these lilacs I created a large
perennial bed. Coneflower's, black eyed Susan's, & Daylillies are
growing like mad. Butterfly Bushes are not doing very well at all.

For annuals, I've had good success with Ageratum's, Cosmos, Salvias, and
a few others I can't recall.

David in MD
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Muvin Gruvin

when living in KY had 8 black walnut trees.....and I detest the taste of
black walnuts sorry to say. As I recall the grass grew quite well right
up to the trunks of the trees. The were quite dangerous when dropping
those nuts. One hit on the head you'd probably have to go to the
hosptal.
The hulls would rot and you would need rubber gloves to pick them up
cuzz they stain your hands so badly. And it was a chore mowing around
them.
Now I reside in the Pacific Northwest and pull pine trees like they were
dandelions.