Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Michael Keefe

Default 1973 JD 110 lawn tractor

Recently disassembled said machine for painting and service. Removed rear
end and drained oil, refilled, painted and reinstalled. No problems with
rear-end prior to this whole operation. Upon installation and test, things
locked up, no reverse (makes a grinding clicking noise). Other gears work,
but still a grinding clicking noise and I can see the shaft from the belt
drive pulley moving around quite a bit.

Before I tear this thing apart, any ideas what could have happened? I have a
lot of experience taking things apart, and I've never seen anything like
this happen.

Anyone ever take one of these things apart? Anything I should be aware of
(like things flying apart)? Didn't find any other ng to post this on so
hopefully this is the right one..

TIA
Mike

Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Michael Keefe" wrote in message
Recently disassembled said machine for painting and service. Removed rear
end and drained oil, refilled, painted and reinstalled. No problems with
rear-end prior to this whole operation. Upon installation and test, things
locked up, no reverse (makes a grinding clicking noise). Other gears work,
but still a grinding clicking noise and I can see the shaft from the belt
drive pulley moving around quite a bit.

Before I tear this thing apart, any ideas what could have happened? I have
lot of experience taking things apart, and I've never seen anything like
this happen.

Anyone ever take one of these things apart? Anything I should be aware of
(like things flying apart)? Didn't find any other ng to post this on so
hopefully this is the right one..

TIA
Mike

I've got a JD 110 about that vintage but everything is still intack - never
been apart. Is here a linkage under there or does the shift lever go
directly in to the unit ? Or do you think something inside got dislodged
when you tipped it upside down ?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Michael Keefe

On 6/6/06 10:02 PM, in article
, "Srgnt Billko"
spewed forth this gibberish...

Just cheked my manuals. Mine was originally purchased 5/14/73. How about
that. The manual gives a lot of maintenance / fixit info but when it comes
to the tranny it just says, "Because special tools are required, it is not
recommended that you service or dismantle any part of the transmission."

Couldn't think about it anymore so I tore into the unit. Many pieces of
things fell out, some intact, some not.. Don't know what caused the whole
thing to self destruct but it's definitely garbage now.. Even if it wasn't
broke I doubt I could get it all back together.. Thanks for responding..