Old 07-06-2006, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JerseyMike

Default more about mushrooms on lawn.....

i read the thread about mushrooms dated 6/2 but wasn't sure if anyone was
going to further reply to that post so i posted about my problem w/
mushrooms.....hoping for some different suggestions.

i too came in looking for help w/ 'shrooms. i live in ocean county,NJ and
every year i have a problem w/ the mushrooms. right now i'm the only one on
my street w/ them and they drive me nuts. i'm not a lawn freak, i try to
keep the lawn looking good, but why does it seem 'shrooms like my lawn
better? i have south west exposure, so by 10:30 every day i get sun on the
front of the house and it lasts all day. the front is the only place i get
the mushrooms, except for the back yard near my grill and only get a few
located in one spot. in the front they spread like wild fire. yesterday i
had a couple of patches w/ about 12 or so 'shrooms in each patch but this
morning after rain over night, those patches spread and there are about 2
dozen or more in each patch. i have very little to almost zero shade in the
front and i have some new trees i planted last year on the lawn, but the
mushrooms problem has been pestering me for a few seasons. if i don't
water the lawn it burns very easy from the intense sun exposure in the dead
of summer, but if i water regularly (about 30-45 minutes per area) the lawn
looks good but the 'shrooms start to appear and if i cut back on the
watering, the lawn burns. we have sandy soil beneth the top soil in our
area.

the 'shrooms on my yard are whiteish in color, narrow stalk, caps that looks
to be about the size of a quater. i know they are a fungus, but what will
get rid of them and not damage the lawn.

any help????

mike...........

Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JerseyMike wrote:
[...]

How much water do you apply in the 30-45 mins of watering? If you
don't know you can find out with some tuna fish cans. If you have a
typical inground sprinkler system, 30 mins isn't much water. It
sounds like you may be watering it shallow and too frequently. You
want to water it deeply as infrequently as possible. That means 3/4 of
an inch to an inch every 4 to 7 days, if it hasn't rained, depending on
temp, wind, sun, etc. If you are watering it shallow and too
frequently, that will make it more favorable to mushrooms. I don't
water mine until I see signs that it actually needs water. You can
tell by the grass not springing back when you step on it and it starts
to take on a more blue/grey color. If you allow the lawn to always dry
out the max before applying water, over time, that may help reduce the
mushroom population. It also helps reduce disease and fungus.

And don't worry about burning the lawn. A lawn will go dormant and
brown from lack of water, but that is not burn, it;s not dead. Given
water, it will start growing again. You have to withold water for
quite awhile before it will actually kill the grass, like a prolonged
drought. Burning typically occurs from over application of
fertilizer, which you should not be applying from now till Sept.

Your lawn may have a different soil condition than your neighbors. If
it is rich in decaying matter it will be more favorable to mushrooms.
Unfortunately, short of not over watering, I don;t know anything else
that is effective to eliminate mushrooms.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Peter H

wrote:
JerseyMike wrote:
[...]

'shrooms are caused by organic matter breaking down in your soil.
Chances are that you had a tree on your lawn and someone chipped the
trunk out without cleaning up all of the leftover chips. That wood is
now decomposing and feeding the mushrooms.

There is no sol'n.
Peter H

Old 08-06-2006, 12:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Peter H wrote:
wrote:
JerseyMike wrote:
[...]

Mushrooms don't like "sweet" soil, so add some real lime. I'm
experimenting with the new "liquid lime" products that have just hit the
market.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:

Mushrooms don't like "sweet" soil, so add some real lime. I'm
experimenting with the new "liquid lime" products that have just hit the
market.

Neither does grass.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
[...]

Try a drip/soaker hose watering the grass for a couple of months. Deep soak
the soil. Then, let it dry out for about 4 or 5 days between irrigation
intervals. Equivalent to long slow rain/drizzle all day. Your grass
shouldn't have a problem if it has a decent depth root structure. This will
also save little on water as there is little runoff or evaporation.
--
Jonny

Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JerseyMike

wrote in message
oups.com...

Try a drip/soaker hose watering the grass for a couple of months. Deep

soak
the soil. Then, let it dry out for about 4 or 5 days between irrigation
intervals. Equivalent to long slow rain/drizzle all day. Your grass
shouldn't have a problem if it has a decent depth root structure. This

will
also save little on water as there is little runoff or evaporation.
--
Jonny

How do you water a whole lawn with a soaker hose? They are fine for
shrubs/flowers planted close together in a bed, but how are you
supposed to do any reasonable size lawn with one? And how is that
supposed to do anything to prevent mushrooms?

I agree that letting the lawn dry out as much as possible between
waterings is a good idea, but don't get the reasoning behind the soaker
hose.

my usual routine for watering is everyother day for the time i said in my
OP. i use a regular lawn sprinkler, i don't have a sprinkler system, but i
even those people who have sprinkler systens who water every day, even when
it's raining, never get 'shrooms. i'm perplexed.

mike.............

Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Jonny" wrote:
Try a drip/soaker hose watering the grass for a couple of months.

If your lawn is 10' x 50'.

--
I went back to the store
They gave me four more
Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JerseyMike wrote:
my usual routine for watering is everyother day for the time i said in my
OP. i use a regular lawn sprinkler, i don't have a sprinkler system, but i
even those people who have sprinkler systens who water every day, even when
it's raining, never get 'shrooms. i'm perplexed.

mike.............

Time means little without knowing the flow rate. Watering every other
day is way too often and likely also not deep enough. This keeps the
the lawn wet too much, which promotes shallow roots, fungus and
disease. It's especially bad if you do it early evening, so that it
stays wet the longest. As another poster pointed out, your lawn may
have soil which is different. Mushrooms like decaying matter, like
chips of wood, and your soil may have more of it.

I'd cut way back on the watering. You want to give the lawn 3/4 of an
inch to an inch at a time so that it's watered deeply every 4 to 7
days, depending on heat, wind, sun, etc. Don't be afraid to let the
lawn start to go off color before applying water. Water it as
infrequently as possible.

I live in central NJ and right now, it's been raining every day for
over a week. I have small brown mushrooms scattered through my lawn,
the most I've ever had. But fortunately the truf is so thick, they are
not noticeable unless you look closely. But, soon as it stops
raining, they will disappear. They only surface in my lawn when it is
being kept constantly wet.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

Sort of is. Moved in house with no lawn, poor soil and rocky, and sits on
appreciable elevation leaning north to south. Some areas simply won't
support any kind of non-native grass without introducing alot of topsoil.
Got 3 pallets of St Augustine and 2 truckloads of topsoil. The depth of the
St. Augustine varies a little but is around 10 to 12 ft from house where it
ends.

The runoff factor is high using common sprinkling methods so I noticed due
the hilly nature of the yard. The soaker hose seems the most effective way
to accomplish irrigation I've found in such cases as mine. I can water 2
24' sections with one soaker hose. The yard is divided in half due the
front entry pathway from the fence. The sides being in excess of 50' can
only be watered properly by moving the hose again. The backyard doesn't
need as much water as it faces north, and gets alot of shade from the house.
I use a sprinkler here. The grass is much more lush here as well and
elevation isn't a factor. Basically almost level. The remainder of the
yard lacked any vertical blade growth, almost all stringers. Soil dried out
quickly using aerated watering methods. Soaking with aeration sprinklers
resulted in big pools of water elsewhere, rather than the yard.
The grass in these areas has bounced back using the soaker method. There
are few areas of exposed soil made by the dogs walking. These areas don't
seem to dry up as quickly. Alot of it has turned to vertical blades. I
also introduced an iron additive, Texas Greensand, which seems to have
eliminated the yellowing.
--
Jonny

Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jonny wrote:
[...]

And again, what does this have to do with reducing mushrooms?

More mushrooms No Name United Kingdom 75 22-06-2012 11:13 AM
Mushrooms & my new lawn... Justin Clark United Kingdom 34 02-07-2005 10:28 PM
Mushrooms in my lawn..... StanDan United Kingdom 40 16-05-2004 11:14 AM
Mushrooms in my lawn Harmony Seldon Lawns 0 03-07-2003 04:20 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 05:55 PM