Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Leaf shreaders for home owners

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Danny" wrote in message
Any reccomendations on Leaf shreaders for home owners?

My new Toro self-propelled lawn mower mulches them. I love it. The
only thing I have to worry about is a wind vortex makes a large pile in
one spot, but we just bag those up.

I love mulching the grass, too, doesn't leave a mess and don't have to
bother with a bagger.

If and when I get into composting, there's plenty of other stuff I can
throw in that.

The grass is good to include in the compost pile because it adds nitrogen
that helps the pile cook.

I'm sure you're right about that. But I have nasty memories of when my
son was a teenager and started cutting the grass for me (bless him for
that). He dumped it in the back and I had a huge mess I finally cleaned
up. We didn't know about composting then.

Composting has its benefits but is just more work and I have plenty as it
is. I was going to give it a try in a nice wide plastic bucket type thing
I found with ropes for handles. I notice it has a crack in the bottom
which would let the water drain out. Maybe it would work anyway or I
could put duct tape on it. But it will have to be satisfied with
crabgrass and weeds and if I ever get rid of that, I don't know what I'll
put in there.

I used to build bins and turn compost over like they all recommend but now I
just make very big piles and let is sit for over a year without doing much
to it. I do add garbage for a few months and pull out the largest weeds
that grow in it - otherwise it's pretty much on it's own. But it sounds
like you are a lot neater than I am so you might not be content with stuff
that doesn't bother me.

I also put the leaves and bagged grass clippings (grass is rarely
bagged) in piles -- no fancy bins and such. But I turn the piles
whenever I finish mowing the lawn (only takes 5 minutes). I find that
if I don't turn the piles at least once for a long while, many large
leaves simply won't decompose and stay there in layer (even after 6
months sitting there), and block water from reaching the bottom layer.
I guess this may have something to do with the fact that the tree
leaves are large and my garden vacuum doesn't do a good job shredding
the large leaves.

After the leaves and grass clippings staying in piles for one year,
they are done and I can use the finish products in my vegetable garden
or top dressing the lawn. After a couple years doing this, my
vegetable garden has turned from sandy to rich soil.

I am currently using a garden vacuum (look like a mower) to suck up the
leaves on the lawn and shred the leaves in pieces (not always in small
pieces). I would like it better if I had bought the self-propelled
model. I would only recommend people to use garden vacuum if they are
into composing. If people are not into composing, they are better off
using a gas-powered leaf blower or a rake.

Jay Chan

Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

I Love Lucy said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Steveo said:

wrote:
ROFL Good read!

Do you mulch or bag?

I've never had a bagger. I think they're a pain in the ass. If the
grass is
too tall to mulch, then I'll take the blocking plate off the discharge
chute, and rake the clippings. One or two times like that usually
provides
enough grass clippings to stir into the leaves from the fall and gets
my
compost going. =)

Now there's a good compromise for me at least with the grass. Thanks
for the idea. I hate to buy more stuff, but I saw at the hardware store
that have some plastic barrels with handles you turn every so often. I
will *consider* getting one of those if I can't find an improvised
solution.

I looked at those, and it seems a good solution for small-scale composting.
I opted to build my own a few years ago, and am glad that I did. It's three
bins, each 3x3x3 feet, with removable slats down the front, and 1/4" nylon
mesh on the remaining sides. It worked great, provided it was turned. This
year, I put my vegetable garden in raised beds, and filled them with a mix
of 50% river-bottom topsoil (screened thru a 3/8" screen), 25% composted
manure and 25% composted yard waste (both screened thru a 1/2" screen). I
won't be needing fresh compost for a few years, I don't think, so I've been
a bit lax in turning it. Too many other things to do right now, and no
hurry on that one.

As was stated earlier in the thread, you do need some grass clippings in
with the leaves (approx 20% grass should do fine), in order to move the
composting process along. It also helps to let the grass clippings dry out
a bit, before adding them to the compost. I'd spread mine out on a tarp on
the driveway until they'd start to brown a bit, and then add them. Looked a
bit strange to my neighbors, until they saw what I was doing with it. I
think I saw a tarp of them, on a driveway down the street, the other day.
=)

--
Eggs

Can a storm be officially designated as a tornado without touching down at
a trailer park?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Steveo said:

wrote:
[...]

You can also add lawn fertilizer (high in nitrogen) to the compost to help
is cook. I buy a couple broken bags at the end of the year - they
practically give it away.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Steveo said:

wrote:
[...]

I'll sometimes grab a couple extra containers of worms, when I'm goin'
fishin', and dump them in, also.

--
Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Steveo said:

wrote:
[...]

Our Dalmation loves to hunt for those big fat juicey worms when we are
digging in the compost pile. She thinks she's "eating well".

Old 10-06-2006, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

Steveo said:

wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm quite used to looking strange to my neighbors. That is funny.
20% grass is the key to that I guess. Maybe I'll rig something up. It
is 49 degrees here today and raining, so no gardening or much else
today. I'm determined not to turn up the heat.

That's funny about your neighbors. You are a trendsetter!

I'll give more thought to this composting. I know what I can do. Two
wastebasket type things from the dollar store as large as possible.
When it's time to turn it, stir it as best I can and dump it in the
other, stir a little more. Find a cover to fit. That ought to work.
=)

Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Steveo said:

wrote:
[...]

Yup. As I said, I have three bays to my compost bin. One is nearly almost
always empty, and it's used for stirring the other two. One fork at a time
from each into the empty bin, usually it stirred quite well. Properly made,
it's probably the best thing you can add to garden soil, IMO.

--
Eggs

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

Yup. As I said, I have three bays to my compost bin. One is nearly
almost
always empty, and it's used for stirring the other two. One fork at a
time
from each into the empty bin, usually it stirred quite well. Properly
made,
it's probably the best thing you can add to garden soil, IMO.

It might work magic on some of my trouble spots. I'll try to get
something going, probably in the fall, just throw the fall starter stuff
in there and put it in the garage over the winter..

In the meantime, you can FedEx me some of yours. Overnight please, you
pay :-).