Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RB

Default garden tractor engine cleaning question

What's a good way to clean a greasy engine in my garden tractor?

Thought about spraying it down with oven cleaner and then rinsing off. But,
not sure if the oven cleaner residue might get into some areas and stay and
cause trouble, even with a good flushing.

I have a pressure washer on hand, but not sure about using it on the engine.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

RB wrote:
What's a good way to clean a greasy engine in my garden tractor?

Thought about spraying it down with oven cleaner and then rinsing off. But,
not sure if the oven cleaner residue might get into some areas and stay and
cause trouble, even with a good flushing.

I have a pressure washer on hand, but not sure about using it on the engine.

How about engine degreaser and a hose? I would not use oven cleaner,
that is very caustic and will likely damage paint.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"RB" wrote in message
What's a good way to clean a greasy engine in my garden tractor?

Thought about spraying it down with oven cleaner and then rinsing off.
But, not sure if the oven cleaner residue might get into some areas and
stay and cause trouble, even with a good flushing.

I have a pressure washer on hand, but not sure about using it on the
engine.

Shouldn't be a problem - I've taken them though the self-serve car wash and
blew them off with the engine degreaser.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
willshak

RB wrote:
What's a good way to clean a greasy engine in my garden tractor?

Thought about spraying it down with oven cleaner and then rinsing off. But,
not sure if the oven cleaner residue might get into some areas and stay and
cause trouble, even with a good flushing.

I have a pressure washer on hand, but not sure about using it on the engine.

I clean mine with Simple Green. Spray it on, use a stick to break up the
heavy crud, let it sit, wash off with garden hose set at stream (full).
Repeat as necessary.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Michael Keefe

On 6/9/06 2:36 AM, in article ,
"RB" spewed forth this gibberish...

What's a good way to clean a greasy engine in my garden tractor?

Thought about spraying it down with oven cleaner and then rinsing off. But,
not sure if the oven cleaner residue might get into some areas and stay and
cause trouble, even with a good flushing.

I have a pressure washer on hand, but not sure about using it on the engine.

I use an industrial strength oven cleaner (gallon jug) and brush it on
mixing it in, then garden hose.. Pressure washer can do physical damage like
pull off wires and whatnot..