Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JL

Default Moss on shed roof

My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof asphalt
shingles.
Should I worry?
If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

JL wrote:
My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof asphalt
shingles.
Should I worry?
If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?

Bleach will do the trick, but the runoff may damage painted surfaces
and unpainted wood and nearby landscaping.

On wood surfaces, I use a vinegar/borax solution. It works more
slowly, but does the job, and doesn't harm the wood like chlorine
bleach can. Put some 5% white distilled vinegar into a quart
container (like a juice bottle) and add as much borax as will dissolve.
Then carefully pour the liquid into a hand sprayer, being very careful
not to get any undissolved borax into the sprayer (it will clog the
spray nozzle).

Does anyone know if RoundUp will kill moss?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:19:04 -0400, JL wrote:

My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof asphalt
shingles.
Should I worry?
If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?

Moss will shorten the life of your roof. I would suggest that you get a
zinc strip and install it at the top of the roof line. These strips will
last many years, but they can be spendy for a large roof.

There are products that you can sprinkle on the the roof to rid you of the
moss. These are safe and work well. They contain iron and zinc and will
kill off the moss for now, but dollars to do-nuts, it will be back over
time.

Good luck.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info/

Old 14-06-2006, 10:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

JL wrote:
My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof

asphalt
shingles.
Should I worry?
If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?

Bleach will do the trick, but the runoff may damage painted surfaces
and unpainted wood and nearby landscaping.

On wood surfaces, I use a vinegar/borax solution. It works more
slowly, but does the job, and doesn't harm the wood like chlorine
bleach can. Put some 5% white distilled vinegar into a quart
container (like a juice bottle) and add as much borax as will dissolve.
Then carefully pour the liquid into a hand sprayer, being very careful
not to get any undissolved borax into the sprayer (it will clog the
spray nozzle).

Does anyone know if RoundUp will kill moss?

in my experience, no. Can't tell you why but it does not work for me.

rob

Old 14-06-2006, 03:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Merle O'Broham

JL wrote:
[...]

Really? (!) Try hitting it again. RoundUp kills moss for me just fine.
It turns it orange/dead in a couple days.

Old 19-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered User

There is a solution called Batimoss that is not chlorine based and so it doesn't bleach wood. It also prevents regrowth so is good for long term protection from moss.
Look at www.mosskillers.co.uk
Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

replying to Merle O'Broham, Rocky wrote:
did it turn you orange/dead yet?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/lawn-g...roof-9362-.htm