GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question: What kills bermuda but spares fescue? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/146489-question-what-kills-bermuda-but-spares-fescue.html)

John Crichton 15-06-2006 01:32 AM

Question: What kills bermuda but spares fescue?

Bermuda is invading my fescue lawn. What herbicide will kill bermuda
but leave fescue alone?

Thanks

Eggs Zachtly 15-06-2006 02:36 AM

John Crichton said:

Bermuda is invading my fescue lawn. What herbicide will kill bermuda
but leave fescue alone?

Thanks

Worth a read:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cabarrus/sta...t/bermuda.html

HTH
--
Eggs

-Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Kyle Boatright 16-06-2006 12:57 AM

"John Crichton" wrote in message
Bermuda is invading my fescue lawn. What herbicide will kill bermuda but
leave fescue alone?

Thanks

To some extent, you can use Fluazifop (often sold under the Fusillade brand)
and/or Acclaim Extra. Do a bit of googling and you'll find 'em both on the
internet. Greenbook.net is an excellent source of free information, but
you'll have to register. You can read the label information - application
rate, proper uses, etc for almost any herbicide there.

In theory, Fluazifop will cause more injury to the bermuda, but neither
product claims to eliminate bermuda, even after multiple applications. I
have experience with both and can tell you that using either of these
products to rid fescue of bermuda is akin to giving chemotherapy to a cancer
patient. It may or may not kill off the bad stuff, and it is awfully rough
on the patient.