GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/14666-correct-ground-temperature-crabgrass-preventer-application.html)

Scott 12-04-2003 01:44 PM

Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application

I've read in few places that crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees and to
apply crabgrass preventer when the ground hits 50 degress. I've had a
lawn service in the past and they applied it when the ground hit 41
degrees. They always applied it in the 2nd week of April. My
ground(Milwaukee, WI Zone 5b) is still around 46 degress and snow in
some places yet. When should it be applied.

[email protected] 12-04-2003 01:56 PM

(Scott) wrote:
I've read in few places that crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees and to
apply crabgrass preventer when the ground hits 50 degress. I've had a
lawn service in the past and they applied it when the ground hit 41
degrees. They always applied it in the 2nd week of April. My
ground(Milwaukee, WI Zone 5b) is still around 46 degress and snow in
some places yet. When should it be applied.

Most commercial pre-e's have a fairly long residual,so you should be ok.

Here in Ohio,we try to get it down before the forsythia stops blooming.

You're correct on your soil temps.

--
Go#40 42 12 God Bless Our Troops
Look at this asshole:

Scott 13-04-2003 09:08 PM

Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application

What about aerating. Need I wait after aerating to pre-treat
crabgrass, or can apply it right away?

[email protected] 13-04-2003 10:08 PM

(Scott) wrote:
What about aerating. Need I wait after aerating to pre-treat
crabgrass, or can apply it right away?

(Scott) wrote in message
om...
I've read in few places that crabgrass germinates at 55 degrees and to
apply crabgrass preventer when the ground hits 50 degress. I've had a
lawn service in the past and they applied it when the ground hit 41
degrees. They always applied it in the 2nd week of April. My
ground(Milwaukee, WI Zone 5b) is still around 46 degress and snow in
some places yet. When should it be applied.

Right away.

--
There was another war-related casualty today. The French were injured when
they tried to jump on our bandwagon." —Jay Leno