Old 25-06-2006, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Shane

Default I want a golf course lawn

I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible. There
were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B Gone, to
get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds under
control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass in
my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How many
kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even looking yard?
I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I wanna walk
barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to till
everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize or what?

Advice?

Old 25-06-2006, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Robinson

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible.

There
were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B Gone, to
get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds under
control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass in
my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How many
kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even looking

yard?
How many types of trees are there? Same answer basically

I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I wanna walk
barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to till
everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize or

what?
If you want a golf course lawn you need to start with the soil underneith.
Its a sandy soil under most greens I believe with a specific type of grass
seed mowed with a power REEL mower worth more than most small cars. Want a
decent lawn that looks great and feels good without spending a load of
money? My suggestion is this:
Top dress the lawn, over seed the lawn, roll the lawn multiple times,
fertilize the lawn (use a local company who is recomended by somone NOT a
national chain, and not a guy outta the paper). This will create a great
looking yard. Also buy good grass seed, weed free.

Old 25-06-2006, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible.
There were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B
Gone, to get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds
under control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass in
my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How many
kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even looking
yard? I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I wanna
walk barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to till
everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize or
what?

Advice?

How big is the yard? If it is small, you might consider sodding with
Bermuda, which will give you the lawn you desire (assuming you have enough
direct sunlight).

If it is large, there are several attractive bermudas that can be seeded,
but they are not a fine leafed as the sodded varieties.

In either case, you'll need to kill off all of the existing grass to ever
bring the yard to golf course-like perfection with only one species of
grass.

Old 25-06-2006, 03:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Shane

OK, well forget the "golf course" comment. I just want a nice even looking
yard, without having to start from scratch.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

k.net...

Old 25-06-2006, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
OK, well forget the "golf course" comment. I just want a nice even
looking yard, without having to start from scratch.

Starting from scratch is the only way to obtain what you seek.

Old 25-06-2006, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Robinson

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Shane" wrote in message
k.net...
OK, well forget the "golf course" comment. I just want a nice even
looking yard, without having to start from scratch.

Starting from scratch is the only way to obtain what you seek.

Well a reno will give you a nice lawn, but it all depends on the soil
conditions under the soil.

Old 25-06-2006, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
mrkool

Hi Shane,

A friend of mine, in Mid-Tenn, used to work for a Golf Course, and
bought the mower
he used on the course, a Dixon zero turn, but what he did to get a
really good looking
"barefoot type" lawn, was to wait about August or Sept, sprayed the
whole lawn with Round-Up and killed every grass, weed and bug I guess,
about mid Sept, the neighborhood assoc. president drove by his house
and saw the only brown yard in the whole subdivision and about run off
into the ditch, but early, the next Spring, he re-seeded and sprayed
pre-emergent and watered and fertilized some now, not a lot,
and by May, he has the lawn to lay on, it's thick and soft and green as
John Deere paint.

He did send a soil sample to Tenn. tech and they sent him the grass(es)
that he could grow without any problems, I think he had a mix of about
5 different grasses, some for shade and some for path, but it really
looks good.

Old 25-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mary Beth

"mrkool" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Shane,
pre-emergent and watered and fertilized some now, not a lot,
and by May, he has the lawn to lay on, it's thick and soft and green as
John Deere paint.

snippety snip

think he had a mix of about
5 different grasses, some for shade and some for path, but it really
looks good.

I gotta say, it may sound like the hard work is too much, but we did do the
whole lawn thing. It's 70 x 60 now. Gave the dogs 20 ft.

It is so well worth the extra trouble, and we don't have any weeds in there,
now. I don't need a weed spray as the grass is so thick hardly any get in
there, and I can go hand pick the 9-10 weeds that may start up in one week
period. As long as I get them young, and get the roots, I have a weed free
yard with VERY minimum of work *now*.

When we bought the house, the yard was a mess from all the trucks in and
out, plus it had nothing but a few weeds coming up here and there. It was
September and the inside was our priority. So we waited til spring, then hit
*everything* with Round-Up, this was after devoting a quarter of the yard to
a long, chain link dog run, (70 X 20 ft. !!), filled with sand. (Came in
handy as we had the guy leave us a load of sand.)

Had someone come over this spring, tilling the whole yard, and spreading
that extra sand, and the many dead leaves, into our clay soil, here in SE
Kansas. Then we seeded and rolled it.)

I went out and got a fescue mix, (can't remember the other ones in it) but
it was for shade and sun, as it gets pretty shady out there this year. We're
going to be trimming the trees in the fall or spring. But right now, (and
even though we had a dump truck come in and almost trample huge areas of
grass, re-sanding the dog run, thanks to trader4! g) we now have a golf
course lawn. I absolutely LOVE taking my shoes off and walking around in it.
I put down a LOT of seed, more then they recommended, so I had to water more
for the first few months, but it is gorgeous now. (Slight track marks are
just now fading away.)

This lawn is thicker than any carpet I've ever had! And to lie down on it?
Feels wonderful, as long as I remember to treat it to anti-chigger
pesticide. eg

That's the great part of having the dog run. They ruined our other backyard
lawns, and even though I picked up after them and watered after them, they
still wore it down. AND even though I hate to use chemicals, I refuse to
live here, with *this* lawn, and not get rid of the chiggers! We can do that
now, and not harm the dogs. BG

Just my 7 cents,

MaryBeth

Old 26-06-2006, 12:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

mrkool wrote:
Hi Shane,

A friend of mine, in Mid-Tenn, used to work for a Golf Course, and
bought the mower
he used on the course, a Dixon zero turn, but what he did to get a
really good looking
"barefoot type" lawn, was to wait about August or Sept, sprayed the
whole lawn with Round-Up and killed every grass, weed and bug I guess,
about mid Sept, the neighborhood assoc. president drove by his house
and saw the only brown yard in the whole subdivision and about run off
into the ditch, but early, the next Spring, he re-seeded and sprayed
pre-emergent and watered and fertilized some now, not a lot,
and by May, he has the lawn to lay on, it's thick and soft and green as
John Deere paint.

What kind of idiot kills a lawn in August and waits till Spring to
reseed? Sept would have been the perfect time to seed, plus you dead
lawn wouldn't have looked like hell for 6 months.

Old 26-06-2006, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:37:57 GMT, "Shane"
wrote:

I recently bought a house in Central Missouri. My lawn was horrible. There
were humps, holes, bare spots, etc. I've been using Ortho Weed B Gone, to
get rid of all the leafy stuff. I've pretty much got the weeds under
control, now I'm working on the moles.

My question is this: I have what seems to me as several kinds of grass in
my yard. What I DON'T know about grass could fill a thick book. How many
kinds of grass are there? What do I have to do to get an even looking yard?
I want it all the same shade of green and nice a thick. I wanna walk
barefoot and feel like it's carpet. I can't imagine I need to till
everything up and replant grass. Or do I? Do I need to fertilize or what?

Advice?

Wifey asked how we could get a golf course lawn, after I looked into
the requirements, lots of water, frequent mowing, and a reel mower, I
said "no".

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Reddish "Golf Balls" Appearing On Tree ? Robert11[_2_] Lawns 4 14-09-2009 06:08 PM
Weed Wacker Golf Club? [email protected] Orchids 0 01-03-2008 02:05 AM
Stalling Golf Ears Ponds 0 25-12-2007 08:48 PM
Beard's Turfgrass Encyclopedia: For Golf Courses - Grounds, Lawns, Sports Fields turf doc Lawns 1 16-02-2006 08:56 AM
Bentgrass for Backyard Golf Green Silver Lawns 0 15-02-2003 03:17 AM