Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default MTD lawn tractor speed control pulley stuck

"Roger Blake" wrote in message
Yes, I really should have moved the car before mowing that area of the
lawn.
Yesterday afternoon I managed to snag the clutch/brake control pedal of my
1996-vintage MTD garden tractor on the front bumper of an old station
wagon
wagon while mowing around the car. Before I knew what was happening,
the pedal was bent backwards way too far and suddenly the tractor was
locked into "high gear," and the speed control lever (still set for a
moderate speed) wouldn't budge. I finished mowing the lawn by riding
the clutch to control speed.

This is a belt-drive mower and I can see that the (6) speeds on this
thing are selected via a split pulley that varies its effective diameter
by the halves moving toward or away from each other. It appears to be
locked in the furthest apart (smallest effective diameter) position,
hence the "high gear" effect.

For the life of me I can't see how this variable pulley is controlled.
There
is a control rod that operates the "clutch" by moving the pulley assembly
laterally and thereby loosening the drive belt. This is interlocked to the
speed control lever with a Rube Goldberg-esque system of control rods,
but the pulley halves don't move at all when the control rod is worked.

Anyone familiar with this setup? Ideas??

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)

Not sure of the picture - but you might have to take the belt off to remove
the pressure before you can slide the pulley back together.