Old 13-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Rich Knowles

Default Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1 Lawnmower Engine Repair/Maintenance

As the subject line states, I have a Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1
Lawnmower Engine on which I am trying to perform some routine
maintenance.

My specific question is, How can I take apart the flywheel cover and
the molded gas and oil tanks?

If anyone has done this before (and I know you're out there, )
would you please walk me through the steps?

I have unscrewed all obvious screws but it does not budge.

Thanks for any help/insight

--Rich K.

Old 13-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Dr. Doctor

why are you taking the unit apart?
basic maintenance includes oil change (drain plug on bottom). new air
filter, new plug, drain old gas.( disconnect fuel line to old gas into a
container & when you have fresh gas in the tank looses the bowl nut on carb
until fresh gas flows) and new blade or blade sharpened. if you need any
more work then that take it to a shop.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Registered User

It is simpler than you think. Try lifting up on the cas tank. After you have removed the three screws holding down the gas tank, lift up on it. It has flanges on the front side of it that slide down into groves on the red flywheel cover, in addition to the screws. Also, once you do that, you will see two more hex-head bolts holding on the flywheel cover. Remove those, and the flywheel cover should come right off as well. At this point, you are able to adjust the magneto gap spacing (which affects the spark) or remove flywheel. Good luck with your maintanance. I have the same engine and have taken it apart twice and rebuilt, but mine is still not running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knowles

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered User

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to diagnose a freebie lawnmower I got. Craftsman Eager 1 6.5hp self propelled.

I want to take off the gas tank and top shroud to get at the flywheel and see why it doesn't turn with the pull rope, but will turn, stiffly, by turning the blade by hand.

I've removed all screws I can see/find, the top cover is loose, especially at the front, but doesn't seem to want to come off. I suspect it's just a pull off at this point, but don't want to break any tabs or plastic parts (gas tank is plastic) by pulling in the wrong direction or if there's some weird connection I'm missing that's holding it on.

Pix attached, or see below for larger images.

shortened URL:
Picasa Web Albums - Richard W. - 2011-03-05_la...

full URL:

https://picasaweb.google.com/richard...u54r_2tc3v3wE#

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1 Lawnmower Engine Repair/Maintenance-top_cover_plastic.jpg   Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1 Lawnmower Engine Repair/Maintenance-top_cover_no_plastic.jpg   Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1 Lawnmower Engine Repair/Maintenance-right_side.jpg   Sears (Tecumseh) Eager-1 Lawnmower Engine Repair/Maintenance-left_side.jpg
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Registered User

Yay, figured it out.

First, pull the oil check cap/dipstick off and set it aside. I put a paper towel in the filler tube to keep debris from getting in.

What you have to do on this thing is pull the sides of the gas tank OUT a bit. If you put some upward tension on the side as you pull out, you'll feel the plug that keeps it from moving release. It's NOT a friction fit, or if it is, it's VERY low, so you're just pulling against the formed plastic part of the gas tank and extension that meets the metal shroud.

Once you've done that, you can then wiggle from side to side, again pulling UPWARDS (not back) as there's another attachment piece of plastic that slides vertically into the metal shroud.

You can even pull it off and NOT remove the gas line if you're not fiddling with that, saving spilling or having to figure how to empty the tank.

Once the gas tank is off, you can see the other 2 bolts at the rear (one next to the oil filler) to allow removal of the metal shroud part.

replacement for tecumseh engine gudgean Lawns 3 23-05-2009 02:41 AM
Tecumseh Engine won't keep running Terry Cox Lawns 9 21-11-2008 04:23 PM
Old Ariens Snowblower w/5HP Tecumseh Engine AmyB Lawns 5 06-11-2006 10:42 PM
Sears Craftsman Eager (Tecumseh Engine) Push Mower Problem Bill Lawns 4 23-06-2003 01:08 AM
Flywheel / magneto removal Sears Tecumseh engine ? [email protected] Lawns 1 14-04-2003 02:44 AM