GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/147713-pine-cones-falling-scales-arent-opening.html)

Elena Sofia 15-07-2006 05:01 AM

Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening

Pine cones from my trees seem to be falling at a greater rate then
ever. I also noticed that their scales aren't open. Are the cones
falling "prematurely." Does it mean that the pine tree is not in good
health?

It usually takes me a long time to pick the cones before mowing the
lawn, many of them are embedded in the lawn, and some bear spots are
beginning to show on the lawn.

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.

platapus03 15-07-2006 05:07 AM

Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening

"Elena Sofia" wrote in message
ups.com...
Pine cones from my trees seem to be falling at a greater rate then
ever. I also noticed that their scales aren't open. Are the cones
falling "prematurely." Does it mean that the pine tree is not in good
health?

It usually takes me a long time to pick the cones before mowing the
lawn, many of them are embedded in the lawn, and some bear spots are
beginning to show on the lawn.

Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.

Some varieties of Pine drop their cones 'green'. They will open when the
time comes.