GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mower deck spindle *bearings*, generally, and 'old grasshopper ZTRspindles' in particular - repurposing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/147797-mower-deck-spindle-%2Abearings%2A-generally-old-grasshopper-ztrspindles-particular-repurposing.html)

dave 17-07-2006 03:41 PM

mower deck spindle *bearings*, generally, and 'old grasshopper ZTRspindles' in particular - repurposing

hi guys

is it "standard industry practice" to use tapered roller bearings, top
and bottom, in 'most' mower deck spindles, generally? if so, are the
upper and lower bearings 'generally' the same size? or maybe they're
'angular contact' type? I'm seeking a 'general' answer here and do
realize 'it may vary'...

I have an ancient grasshopper ZTR mower I'm parting out, and (because of
shockingly high new bearing prices) I'd like to 'repurpose' one of the
(three) 44 inch mower deck spindles, =if= it contains tapered roller
bearings (or angular contacts). the mower is a model 1820, and the
spindle 'carrier' housings are cast iron (if that helps any). obviously,
I haven't dismantled a housing yet 'to look inside'...I want to use one
of those spindles to 'carry' a drill press countershaft pulley rig I'm
building, either 'in its entirety', or, possibly, just the upper and
lower bearings complete, less the housing.

the drill press countershaft rig 'in progress':
http://machines.awardspace.com/countershaft/

grasshopper spindle pics (bottom of images):
http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopp...s/photo34.html
http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopp...s/photo36.html

the old grasshopper, top of site:
http://machines.50webs.com/Grasshopper_ZTR/

thanks for educating me :-)

toolie

--
replies, if any, by e-mail should remove the 'weirdstuff' from my
address before you click 'send' - thanks :-)

[email protected] 24-07-2006 05:01 AM

mower deck spindle *bearings*, generally, and 'old grasshopper...

the grasshoppers ive worked on had ball brgs in the spindles. but who
knows??.