Old 23-07-2006, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Advice needed on odd problem - Need some kind of rustproof clips to grip about 3/8" steel rod tightly & neatly

What I have are six wrought iron candle stakes that I am going to use in
the yard near the front or side sidewalk where they will be very visible
for either tealights or little potted plants. I'm afraid somebody will
steal them (neighbor got some of his garden stuff stolen a couple weeks
ago).

I've been kicking around what to do for some time now while I worked to
clean them up, prime them and paint with rustoleum. I thought at first
to anchor them in concrete in a brick? Anchor them in concrete in a
cutoff pepsi bottle as a form? Etc. Then bury or "plant" them.

Now I have decided the easiest thing would be to cut the top off a pepsi
bottle part way, leaving about 6-8 inches (not sure about exact amount),
and drill? a hole in the bottom, stick the stake end through the hole,
clip it with something that can be removed but not while it's
underground, under the bottle, and bury that. Those bottoms are tough
and I can't cut into the bottom with my exacto knife.

What I need is some kind of clip that will grip underneath so if
somebody tries to pull them up, they will meet with resistance from the
weight of the dirt that will be filling the pepsi bottle. If I don't
clip them, the stake will just pull out of the hole in the bottle and
dirt.

With the latter method, I don't have to ruin my stakes by anchoring them
in concrete or something permanent. It will be a nuisance if I want to
move them or bring them in for the winter, but if it's not one thing,
it's another.

Maybe somebody has a better idea with pvc pipe or something I wouldn't
think of. Somebody suggested on another forum that I link them all
together with chains and bury all that, but that would be really
difficult for me, first the securing part of the chains and secondly
burying all that mess.

Old 23-07-2006, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Bend a couple inches of the rod 90* - that will stop it from coming through.

Old 23-07-2006, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

You mean on the bottom of the stakes? I can't do that without paying
someone to do it that has the right tools or equipment, plus I would
lose height. That will make it harder to push them in the ground like
they are designed in the first place; they have pointed ends. Thanks
though. As a last resort might try to do that.

Old 24-07-2006, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you said the stake would be thru the
bottom of the pepsi bottle which you were going to bury (Not pushing the
stake in the ground). Maybe it's a "U bolt" (cable clamp) that you need
with or without a washer.

Old 24-07-2006, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I Love Lucy wrote:
[...]

A Pepsi bottle seems a little small to me. I would use a post hole
digger and just pour the concrete in the hole. A good thing to anchor
the post in the concrete is to get some grounding wire clamps at the
local hardware store and just attach them to the post end where it will
be buried in the concrete. No one will be able to pull the post from the
concrete. See type of clamps he
http://www.fciconnect.com/electrical...ound-clamp.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 24-07-2006, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Willshak" wrote in message
I Love Lucy wrote:

A Pepsi bottle seems a little small to me.

Yes, it is, but I'm trying to do some things without hiring them done,
and I can't handle a post hole digger. I will be doing well to get a
deep enough hole dug as it is, and it is on a hillside near steps
(partly excavated to pour new steps and not filled back in waiting for
completion of railing) and cement guy got a full-time job and I am tired
of waiting for him to finish the rest of that, patches need grinding, he
doesn't have a grinder; if I put them lining the front sidewalk (up to
the house), it is level and rototilled ready for the arbor and fall
planting. Also I want them surrounded with plants, possibly lilies, and
I don't want something so large it will mess up that plan although they
would adapt to concrete spaced out no doubt. I thought I would like
them better by the back steps opposite the new railing.

They are made to just poke in the ground. I don't have much invested in
them but time and work, but they are so pretty I don't want to lose them
if I can avoid it.

I would use a post hole
digger and just pour the concrete in the hole. A good thing to anchor

That's what I didn't want to do. If I want to move them, that requires
mega digging which I can't do. Otherwise that is the obvious and best
thing to do.

the post in the concrete is to get some grounding wire clamps at the
local hardware store and just attach them to the post end where it
will be buried in the concrete. No one will be able to pull the post
from the concrete. See type of clamps he
http://www.fciconnect.com/electrical...ound-clamp.htm

Please could you check your link? I got a power/utility station
schematic. I have two arbors sitting in my sunroom that need post hole
digging, been here two months, waiting for help for which I'm prepared
to pay and one a tree has to be dealt with, and they will need a post
hole digger. Too much for me.

It takes me a lot longer to get things done than other people partly
waiting for help and partly pacing myself, doing things a little at a
time.

Old 24-07-2006, 03:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message Maybe I
misunderstood. I thought you said the stake would be thru the bottom
of the pepsi bottle which you were going to bury (Not pushing the
stake in the ground). Maybe it's a "U bolt" (cable clamp) that you
need with or without a washer.

That was my idea. U bolt cable clamp maybe washer. Now I know
something to ask for at the hardware store and not get a blank look from
the young guys that help you. They do their best and you do get waited
on there, usually quickly. Thank you

Sometimes you have to do the next best thing. I do have some concrete
rubble I could fill the pepsi bottles with which would be heavier than
dirt and the bottle would keep most of it contained (don't want that
stuff back in the planting areas). I could fill them just before I
cover with dirt so I won't scratch up the paint as bad. I'm
anticipating touchup maintenance every so often so they don't rust and
will last longer. As if that matters because I am getting up in years.

Old 24-07-2006, 06:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I Love Lucy wrote:
"Willshak" wrote in message

I Love Lucy wrote:

[...]

Damn tabbed browsing! :-)
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/groundrodsclamps

Old 24-07-2006, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Willshak" wrote in message
the post in the concrete is to get some grounding wire clamps at the
local hardware store and just attach them to the post end where it
will be buried in the concrete. No one will be able to pull the post
from the concrete. See type of clamps he
http://www.fciconnect.com/electrical...ound-clamp.htm

Bingo and bookmarked. Now I hope I can buy those at the hardware or
electrical supply store. There are several there that would work nicely
and not too expensive. The iron rods are about 5/16", looks like the
1/2" one might work. Probably don't have the right size hex bolt
thingie. And the paper jammed in the printer, but I got it out.

If not, I will order from that place, maybe I will anyway unless they
are wholesale or minimum order people, what size do you think? I like
the gold roundish ones but will settle for anything rustproof that will
work at this point..

Thanks so much. I googled as best I could on this one and without the
proper nomenclature, you know what that means.

Now how do I cut the hole in the bottom of the pepsi bottle? Drill?
Guess I'll just try and see what happens there. Betcha I don't have a
wide enough bit. Nope. Will get one. Can't cut slits or they might
tear. I think the washer is a good idea. A large one with the proper
size of hole.

One stupid little project and look what you get yourself into.

Please could you check your link? I got a power/utility station
schematic.

Damn tabbed browsing! :-)

Yeah, it sounded so ominous I didn't want to mess with that.

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/groundrodsclamps

Old 24-07-2006, 10:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Advice needed on odd problem - Need some kind of rustproofclip...

Shoot one f the SOB that are stealing your stuff.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 25-07-2006, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message

Shoot one f the SOB that are stealing your stuff.

It was my neighbor across the alley, and he was almost mad enough to do
exactly that. I've kept most of my things locked up for years but
wanted to make the yard look prettier. I'm still remember my nice lawn
chairs with pretty webbing and wooden arms that were stolen years ago.
My kids had two bikes stolen but we finally got them both back, one took
a year. We saw the kid with it at the store and went and confronted
him. And more over the years.

The scariest was when a man cut a screen and got in my daughter's
apartment one hot summer, woke her up, and stole the gold wedding ring
off her finger. We got it back because we could identify it by the
initials engraved in it. They found it in a crack house. Guy went to
prison for 25 years. Bet he's out by now though. I'm thankful he
didn't rape or kill my daughter.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 25-07-2006, 03:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Finding the keyboard operational
I Love Lucy entered:

[...]

Cut top off Pepsi bottle, poke hole in bottom of bottle. (heat one stake and
use it to poke the hole) Put stake in the open top down through the hole
in the bottom. Lash, braze, epoxy a good sized nail to the bottom the stake
so it won't pull back through. Bury the whole thing. Pack the dirt HARD on
top of the bottle. Add the rubble in the bottle if you wish.
This won' t stop a determined thief but it will slow him down. If you really
want to stop a thief. Weld a chain from post to post with a concrete block
threaded on the chain between each post. Set the posts in conrete too. Get
an extension welded on the posts to retain the height. Bury the whole
shooting match with the blocks as low as you can get them.
Isn't sad that we have reached the point that we have to think like this.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Old 25-07-2006, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
Finding the keyboard operational
I Love Lucy entered:

No, my robot did it.

[...]

So far so good until you came to the heating. I'm not heating my
freshly painted stakes even though being in the ground will yuck them
up. I could heat something similar; iron conducts heat very far, so I
would have to use a potholder, I think, doubled.

Put stake in the open top down through the hole
in the bottom.

Had that much thought out.

Lash, braze, epoxy a good sized nail to the bottom the stake
so it won't pull back through.

I sure have the nails the cement guy left in the yard. But how well
will epoxy hold up underground? I kind of liked those clips even if
they cost a little.

Bury the whole thing. Pack the dirt HARD on
top of the bottle

I wasn't going to pack it hard enough. I could pour cement in them and
use a little wider plastic pipe to make the hole loose, then take it out
or leave it in if the stake will go through it.

.. Add the rubble in the bottle if you wish.

I'll have to sift through it, to find the smaller stuff.

This won' t stop a determined thief but it will slow him down.

No. I could slow him down, but it ain't legal.

If you really
want to stop a thief. Weld a chain from post to post with a concrete
block threaded on the chain between each post.

You want me to weld? I don't think so. But that is a darn good idea if
I knew they were going to be there permanently. Be very hard to move.

Set the posts in conrete too.

That's what I wanted to avoid.

Get
an extension welded on the posts to retain the height.

Now my iron guy will charge a lot for that.

Bury the whole
shooting match with the blocks as low as you can get them.

That is almost foolproof. Instead of the pepsi bottle, I could pour
concrete (I think I can mix that, not sure) into a concrete block with a
tube a little larger than the stake so it would slip through. And use
one of those clips. Or the nail.

Isn't sad that we have reached the point that we have to think like
this.

Yes. It's crazy. They only cost $10 at a garage sale but they are
beautiful. I might be able to get $60 for them on ebay. No, I'm not
good on ebay. But I don't want to sell them anyway. I could use
something a little larger than a pepsi bottle. But then the extension
would probably be necessary because so much would be going into the
ground. I could go with a chain above the clip and under the washer
though maybe? I may not be able to dig that dirt on the hill. It's
packed tight. I have an augur for my drill, but that won't get me deep
enough. I could get a bigger one :-).

I also kicked around using my son's weights that are in my garage. I
can barely lift them, without looking, I think they have a big hole in
them, not sure. That would negate using an extension, would need to
modify the clip.

On the hillside they will have to go deep or the bottle or whatever will
show. Maybe I can rig up something with the weights. Maybe I can get
my son to do it for me now that we have a "plan" with some options.. I
wanted to hang my bicycle upside down in the basement, got the holes
drilled in the rafters, heavy eye hooks screwed in, plastic cut just the
right size, bungee cords ready, couldn't lift the bike upsidedown.
Waited for help. Son stops over. He's in a hurry as usual. Balked. I
said I've got everything ready, all I need is for you to help me lift
the bike up. Done in less than 3 minutes.

Maybe I'll just pay somebody to do it like I do most everything else if
I get everything ready to go.

Oh, and thanks.

Old 25-07-2006, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Read through all this stuff and I have this thought which might help or not.
While I know that you painted the poles and all, perhaps you could drill a
hole through the bottom of it, maybe up an inch or two from the bottom.
Then just put a large nail or a spike through that hole. Then you could
slide anything big and round (like those weights) down the pole and it will
be caught by that spike.

I am thinking that repainting the hole would be in order, but either way,
with either the hole or a clamp, the metal will become exposed from the
rubbing of metal to metal (or metal to paint). Maybe if you can get a spike
to fit in the hole snugly, you can paint the whole thing after it is
assembled, perhaps by dipping a few times. I suspect the weights are rubber
or plastic coated, which will mitigate paint wear from those.

Also, and I bet you thought this, having something heavy on the bottom
securely connected makes it much more stable when hanging heavy things from
the top of the poles.

Hoping this might help,
Tomes

Old 25-07-2006, 03:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Thank you, Tomes. I have made too big a deal out of this. Your idea is
doable. After kicking around some of the ideas proposed here, I was
thinking of finding something shallower for a cement mold, like a large
shallow bowl, plastic storage stuff (have a container about right,
square w/rounded corners to lessen breakoff, something, stick a little
piece of hollow plastic pipe in that just a little larger in diameter
than the stake, if I can find it, and go with the clips and/or nails
under it all..

The weights are not uniform in size which probably doesn't matter all
that much, plus I saw some at Goodwill if my son doesn't want me using
his.

I'd need a vice to drill (maybe not. could rig something up I suppose, I
usually manage something) and probably a heavy duty drill bit, more
stuff to buy.

Now I've gotten so many good ideas I'm confused which way to go. I'm
glad I ran it by the group because I don't want them sitting in the
ground too deep as that would make them look odd and the pepsi bottle
and burying them deep enough would make them too short, then would need
the extensions suggested which I'm balking at. Already paying that
place enough for custom rails as it is. Have to keep costs down.

As if all that isn't enough, I got 6 insulators that sit down in the
holder end pretty snugly (don't care so much if those get stolen, they
are cheap) and wish I could find some solar lights that would fit in
them that don't cost an arm and a leg. That is probably asking too
much. I looked all through ebay to get an idea what might be out there.
People are putting out their solar lights and don't seem to worry about
getting them stolen.

Then I will have to be careful that they are set straight because after
all that, I don't want them leaning, but they can always be straightened
I suppose.

How much 'grip' does Boston ivy need? [email protected] Gardening 6 04-02-2007 04:15 AM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
'Tightly' planted Onc. Vestman Orchids 5 01-07-2004 12:05 AM
Who were "Emily Mckenzie" && "Jean Marie de Montague"? Janet Baraclough .. Gardening 1 03-01-2004 04:12 PM
Rubber "cloche clips" - help! Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 03:09 PM