GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   weeds in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/148310-weeds-lawn.html)

mo 01-08-2006 11:05 PM

weeds in lawn

How can I stop/kill all these weeds from growing in
my lawn?! Grass does fine in spring with very few weeds.
But when July-August hits the damn weeds are unstoppable.
Grass i have is fescue and I cut it often and leave it long.
But that doesn`t work, weeds keep comming.
What about chemicals? Or should i mow it shorter?
I live in NJ very hot and humid. Thanks

Mike 02-08-2006 03:41 AM

weeds in lawn

"mo" wrote in message
How can I stop/kill all these weeds from growing in
my lawn?! Grass does fine in spring with very few weeds.
But when July-August hits the damn weeds are unstoppable.
Grass i have is fescue and I cut it often and leave it long.
But that doesn`t work, weeds keep comming.
What about chemicals? Or should i mow it shorter?
I live in NJ very hot and humid. Thanks

You can use a 2-4-D product such as Killex to kill all the broad leaf weeds
in your lawn, it wont harm the grass.

[email protected] 02-08-2006 12:36 PM

weeds in lawn

Mike wrote:

You can use a 2-4-D product such as Killex to kill all the broad leaf weeds
in your lawn, it wont harm the grass.

As long as you don't put it down when it's 85+ or the grass is already
stressed from lack of water. Most weeds should have been dealt with
earlier, like June, when temps were more moderate. If you work on this
for a couple years, properly fertilize, seed if needed, etc, the lawn
should not be full of weeds anymore. All that should be required is an
occasional spot treatment with a sprayer of weeds.

Stubby 02-08-2006 01:32 PM

weeds in lawn

wrote:
Mike wrote:

You can use a 2-4-D product such as Killex to kill all the broad leaf weeds
in your lawn, it wont harm the grass.

As long as you don't put it down when it's 85+ or the grass is already
stressed from lack of water. Most weeds should have been dealt with
earlier, like June, when temps were more moderate. If you work on this
for a couple years, properly fertilize, seed if needed, etc, the lawn
should not be full of weeds anymore. All that should be required is an
occasional spot treatment with a sprayer of weeds.

But don't forget to water a lot.