GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Palm Tree sprouts in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/148383-palm-tree-sprouts-lawn.html)

Mr.Tobor 04-08-2006 05:11 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

Hello All,
My next door neighbor has 3 tall palm trees which, during flowering season,
drop a large amount of seeds on my lawn.

These tend to sprout in my grass. Is there some chemical that will kill
these without killing the grass? I've tried lawn weed killers to no avail.
(Not surprising since I don't imagine they were formulated to see palm trees
as "weeds").

I'd love a solution short of getting on my knees and pulling them out
one-by-one!

TIA for any suggestions. A picture of one of the trees and the sprouts in
the grass can be found he
http://users.adelphia.net/~henryve/pics.htm

MrTobor

Mike 04-08-2006 05:56 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

"Mr.Tobor" wrote in message
Hello All,
My next door neighbor has 3 tall palm trees which, during flowering
season,
drop a large amount of seeds on my lawn.

These tend to sprout in my grass. Is there some chemical that will kill
these without killing the grass? I've tried lawn weed killers to no avail.
(Not surprising since I don't imagine they were formulated to see palm
trees
as "weeds").

Sure they were, they kill broad leaf plants.

Jose 04-08-2006 06:31 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

Mike wrote:
"Mr.Tobor" wrote in message

Hello All,
My next door neighbor has 3 tall palm trees which, during flowering
season,
drop a large amount of seeds on my lawn.

These tend to sprout in my grass. Is there some chemical that will kill
these without killing the grass? I've tried lawn weed killers to no avail.
(Not surprising since I don't imagine they were formulated to see palm
trees
as "weeds").

Sure they were, they kill broad leaf plants.

the lawnmower will do the trick

Mr.Tobor 04-08-2006 07:58 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

the lawnmower will do the trick

I agree. I believe that continued cutting will keep them from ever
establishing themselves and will eventually die. In other words, no big
deal.

My wife, on the other hand, is convinced that, although the tops are being
continually cut off, the roots will continue to grow and the plant stalks
will thicken. Can someone definitively discount this theory?

MrTobor

Mike 04-08-2006 08:58 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

"Mr.Tobor" wrote in message
the lawnmower will do the trick

I agree. I believe that continued cutting will keep them from ever
establishing themselves and will eventually die. In other words, no big
deal.

My wife, on the other hand, is convinced that, although the tops are being
continually cut off, the roots will continue to grow and the plant stalks
will thicken. Can someone definitively discount this theory?

MrTobor

Plants cannot grow without leaves. Cut their leaves off and they are unable
to perform photosynthesis and thus unable to eat and grow.

Stubby 04-08-2006 09:22 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

Mike wrote:
"Mr.Tobor" wrote in message
the lawnmower will do the trick

I agree. I believe that continued cutting will keep them from ever
establishing themselves and will eventually die. In other words, no big
deal.

My wife, on the other hand, is convinced that, although the tops are being
continually cut off, the roots will continue to grow and the plant stalks
will thicken. Can someone definitively discount this theory?

MrTobor

Plants cannot grow without leaves. Cut their leaves off and they are unable
to perform photosynthesis and thus unable to eat and grow.

You've never battled Japanese bamboo weed or trumpet vines gone wild.
You can keep cutting them
to the ground and they just keep coming back.

Tom The Great 05-08-2006 04:06 PM

Palm Tree sprouts in lawn

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:11:21 -0700, "Mr.Tobor"
wrote:

Hello All,
My next door neighbor has 3 tall palm trees which, during flowering season,
drop a large amount of seeds on my lawn.

These tend to sprout in my grass. Is there some chemical that will kill
these without killing the grass? I've tried lawn weed killers to no avail.
(Not surprising since I don't imagine they were formulated to see palm trees
as "weeds").

I'd love a solution short of getting on my knees and pulling them out
one-by-one!

TIA for any suggestions. A picture of one of the trees and the sprouts in
the grass can be found he
http://users.adelphia.net/~henryve/pics.htm

MrTobor

Just an idea...

I might dig them up, and sell them on ebay.

:D

tom