Old 20-08-2006, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Poor soil (dirt) quality

I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Old 20-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"synergy3000" wrote in message
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Good topsoil is $20/yard where i live, depending on the size of yard it
could be anywhere from a hundred to a few hundred.

Old 21-08-2006, 01:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"synergy3000" wrote in message
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Geez - on old farm land - there has to be some decent top soil pretty close
by.

Old 21-08-2006, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"synergy3000" wrote in message
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Geez - on old farm land - there has to be some decent top soil pretty
close by.

Unless its been farmed to shit!

Old 21-08-2006, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"synergy3000" wrote in message
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Geez - on old farm land - there has to be some decent top soil pretty
close by.

Unless its been farmed to shit!

Is that supposed to be a pun ? Cow shit or chicken shit ? Even if it has
been harvested without fertilization (unlikely) the soil should still be
nice and loose and strong enough to grow grass.

Old 21-08-2006, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with
tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green
to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality
in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in.
How pricey would that be?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Geez - on old farm land - there has to be some decent top soil pretty
close by.

yep. it was not hauled all that far away just after it was scraped
off and loaded on trucks. see, later after the newcomer decides how
they'd like to have a lawn the same original top soil can be sold
back to them. seems it's really all about maximum profits and
profitability.

Unless its been farmed to shit!

funny you should mention shit or maybe I should refer to the
substance as chicken droppings. did you know organically certified
produce must be grown without man made chemical fertilizers? guess
what we sometimes use in the place of those man made chemical
fertilizers?
Old 21-08-2006, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:31:09 -0400, Jim Ledford
wrote:

Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

No shit ?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Old 21-08-2006, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

..p.jm wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

excrement for the more so called refined.
Old 21-08-2006, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

"Jim Ledford" wrote in message
.p.jm wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

Paul is on a lot of peoples fecal roster.

Old 21-08-2006, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

me wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
.p.jm wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

I have to wonder how is it the parents know to name
them paul. or could possibly be once named paul it's
all down hill from there?

Old 21-08-2006, 05:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:45:55 -0400, Jim Ledford
wrote:

.p.jm wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

But not man-made excrement ?

Old 21-08-2006, 05:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

.p.jm wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

Purest bovine scatology.

Old 21-08-2006, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:04:17 -0400, Jim Ledford
wrote:

me wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
.p.jm wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

Paul, Saul, it's all the same.

Just don't call me late for dinner.

Jim-bob.

Old 21-08-2006, 06:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

We use chicken shit for 100% organic lawn fert for some customers.

Old 21-08-2006, 11:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,triangle.general

Mike wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
synergy3000 wrote:
[...]

Its easier for mass building of homes to scrape the land of topsoil. You
can't pour a concrete slab on wishwashy soil. More difficult for heavy
trucks to move in that soil, especially concrete trucks. It is odd the
builder didn't just put the topsoil back when the house was completed.
Guess it was the minor cost in doing that.