GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question re Mulch and a St. Augustine Grass question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/149012-question-re-mulch-st-augustine-grass-question.html)

Ronn Cliiborn 23-08-2006 07:16 PM

Question re Mulch and a St. Augustine Grass question.

I planted impatients along my walk way this spring and I used cypress
mulch around the plants. As the plants die back this winter, I
planned to till them under. Is it ok to till them mulch into the soil
or should I remove it before tilling?

Next.
I have a lawn that has a small area of centipede. The rest is mostly
weeds. I have a few areas I "sterilized" and sprigged an unknown
variety of St. Augustine. I have fertilized the St. Augustine,
watered it well and often ( well drained soil ) and even talked to it,
but for the most part my extra attention is for naught. Every few
days I can look at the patches and there will be a few plants taller
then everything else and growing very well - I pull these out because
they are weeds, doing better then my lawn. Some of the St. Augustine
has little dead spots on the leaves and looks pretty sad. The rest of
the lawn (all weeds) are growing at a maximal rate. Any suggestions
to help my grass?
Also, there are 3 weeds that are bothering me:
1.) Crab grass - what is the best way to control this. I used IMAGE
but was not all that impressed and it killed a large area of my
centipede.
2.) Unknown weed: This weed has braid like roots. It will then send
up long "Y" shaped stalks with black seeds(?) on the ends. I don't
know what it is, but can I reasonable kill it?
3.) Unknown weed: This is a very thin stemmed weed that grows by
colons and puts down roots at each joint. The blades are fine and
thin. Grows very rapidly.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Ronin