GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grub Damaged Lawn Repair (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/149035-grub-damaged-lawn-repair.html)

Brad[_1_] 24-08-2006 09:44 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

I'm in Southern Ontario and have finally got a grub infestation under
control - now I have to re-establish my damaged front lawn. What's the
best approach for me to use and is Fall the best time to do it?

Don[_1_] 24-08-2006 11:28 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in Southern Ontario and have finally got a grub infestation under
control - now I have to re-establish my damaged front lawn. What's the
best approach for me to use and is Fall the best time to do it?

whattaya growing?

john[_2_] 25-08-2006 04:21 AM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

Don wrote:
"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in Southern Ontario and have finally got a grub infestation under
control - now I have to re-establish my damaged front lawn. What's the
best approach for me to use and is Fall the best time to do it?

whattaya growing?

If you have crows visiting your lawn, they will keep white grubs under
control. Unfortunately, since the early depression years crows are very
wary of man. This is not to say crows don't cause other problems.

Brad[_1_] 25-08-2006 02:09 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

Grubs aren't the problem now. That's been solved. I'm looking for some
tips or ideas on how best to re-establish the damaged areas. Top dress
and overseed is probably the approach I'm going to use but I need some
guidance on timing.

Don[_1_] 25-08-2006 03:50 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Grubs aren't the problem now. That's been solved. I'm looking for some
tips or ideas on how best to re-establish the damaged areas. Top dress
and overseed is probably the approach I'm going to use but I need some
guidance on timing.

kinda hard to help you if you won't tell us what you are growing!

Mike 25-08-2006 04:33 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

"Don" wrote in message
.. .

"Brad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Grubs aren't the problem now. That's been solved. I'm looking for some
tips or ideas on how best to re-establish the damaged areas. Top dress
and overseed is probably the approach I'm going to use but I need some
guidance on timing.

kinda hard to help you if you won't tell us what you are growing!

Southern ontario - mid sept is a good time to start.

Brad[_1_] 25-08-2006 04:46 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

Sorry Don. Missed your earlier post. This was an established lawn when
we bought the house and it's in a newer subdivision so I'm thinking it
was initially put down as sod as opposed to seeding. Probably a mix of
turf-type Perennial Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass.

Steveo 26-08-2006 12:36 AM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

"Brad" wrote:
Grubs aren't the problem now. That's been solved. I'm looking for some
tips or ideas on how best to re-establish the damaged areas. Top dress
and overseed is probably the approach I'm going to use but I need some
guidance on timing.

I'd suggest slice seeding if it wasn't grub damage. Did you find big grubs
in the soil below your damaged turf? You must be way yonder up north to
have your lawn destroyed by grubs already. Did it frost there yet?

Steveo 29-08-2006 11:42 PM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

Steveo wrote:
"Brad" wrote:
You must be way yonder up
north to have your lawn destroyed by grubs already.

Unless you're dealing with billbug larvae.

Brad[_1_] 31-08-2006 03:50 AM

Grub Damaged Lawn Repair

Thanks for all the replies. Actually, it was grubs and it took me to
the second in-star to solve the problem. The grubs are now gone. My
original post was looking for the best time to repare the lawn. My
solution to repair the damage is to top dress and over seed somewhere
around mid September.