GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thuja Green Giant Screening Trees: Your Experience (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/149125-thuja-green-giant-screening-trees-your-experience.html)

Buster Chops 27-08-2006 11:21 PM

Thuja Green Giant Screening Trees: Your Experience

I'm interested in planting evergreens to provide privacy screening. My row of Douglas Firs have been decimated by a fungus and need to come down. I came across the Thuja Giant evergreen tree.

What's your experience with the tree? Growth rate? Disease and Pest Resistance? Appearance? Thanks in advance.

Eggs Zachtly 28-08-2006 02:06 AM

Buster Chops said:

I'm interested in planting evergreens to provide privacy screening.
My row of Douglas Firs have been decimated by a fungus and need to
come down. I came across the Thuja Giant evergreen tree.

What's your experience with the tree?

First hand? None, but I know *of* the species.

Growth rate?

Wickedly fast. 3-5 feet per year.

Disease and Pest Resistance?

Disease, I'm not positive, but seem to remember reading that it was fairly
resistant. Deer and bagworms will leave it alone. That's a big plus.

Appearance?

If you like real skinny, real tall evergreens, then you'll like it. Not my
thing, though.

What are you trying to screen your property from? And, how close do you
plan to plant them? Do you really need something *that* tall as a "privacy
screen" (including the Doug Firs, heh)?

Also, please don't post in HTML when posting to the USENET. It's completely
unnecessary, and will quite possibly result in your posts not even being
read. Most users I know, block posters who post in HTML format. Many
thanks, and HTH.
--
Eggs

-I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.