Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default MTD 5/24 Track Snowblower--- Any good?

I have an opportunity to pick up an MTD 5/24 Track Drive Snowblower,
for a very resonable price.
Could someone give me their opinion as to whether it is any good.

I have a 8/24 Toro wheel drive, and it is just too much snowblower. I
was looking for something smaller and this fell into my lap. There are
a million MTD snowblowers out there, so they must be OK,,, Just don't
know if the 5 hp motor is enough for a foot or so of snow.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Old 09-09-2006, 04:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an opportunity to pick up an MTD 5/24 Track Drive Snowblower,
for a very resonable price.
Could someone give me their opinion as to whether it is any good.

I have a 8/24 Toro wheel drive, and it is just too much snowblower. I
was looking for something smaller and this fell into my lap. There are
a million MTD snowblowers out there, so they must be OK,,, Just don't
know if the 5 hp motor is enough for a foot or so of snow.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Your 8/24 Toro will handle a foot, or 2 inches of snow. Do you want to trade
a machine too big for a machine too small? I mean, don't you just love
blowing snow onto your neighbors yard?
I'm not impressed with track drive blowers.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Well that was really my question. Is this big enough? A few years we
got hammered, but usually it will be 6-8" maybe 6 times a year.
The Toro is a pain to wrestle around.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dave wrote:
I have an opportunity to pick up an MTD 5/24 Track Drive Snowblower,
for a very resonable price.
Could someone give me their opinion as to whether it is any good.

I have a 8/24 Toro wheel drive, and it is just too much snowblower. I
was looking for something smaller and this fell into my lap. There are
a million MTD snowblowers out there, so they must be OK,,, Just don't
know if the 5 hp motor is enough for a foot or so of snow.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

If you are willing to settle for less machine than you have now, it
will take longer to move the snow. Only you can decide if a
smaller-easier to use machine is worth it to you. But an MTD-track
drive??...that would not be my first choice. Better to go with a
smaller Toro.