GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Very old gas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/149662-very-old-gas.html)

Srgnt Billko 17-09-2006 02:44 AM

Very old gas

Bought an old Hillman station wagon that had been sitting in a guys garage
for a few years. Towed it home but couldn't wait to fire it up so I just
stuck in a good battery and let er crank. She finally fired but talk about
"rough" LOL. When I got around to checking the gas it was more like
syrup than fuel. Smelled real funny. A miracle it fired at all.

Jonny 17-09-2006 06:45 AM

Very old gas

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Bought an old Hillman station wagon that had been sitting in a guys garage
for a few years. Towed it home but couldn't wait to fire it up so I just
stuck in a good battery and let er crank. She finally fired but talk
about "rough" LOL. When I got around to checking the gas it was more
like syrup than fuel. Smelled real funny. A miracle it fired at all.

Very aged gasoline has the pungent odor similar to acetone. The consistency
is visible by 2 different consistencies. One being a gel, and the other
almost like water. Neither of which burn in a 4 cycle engine very well.
--
Jonny