Old 19-09-2006, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD

Anyone have any ideas how to quiet my riding mower with a 10 hp
Tecumseh engine,It looks like a cheap muffler for what I know about
mufflers,I replaced it with the same model muffler,no change in the
noise,which told me my old muffler was ok,does anyone have any ideas
how I can quiet it.10hp murray riding mower with a Tecumseh engine.12yr
old mower,runs great otherwise.

Old 20-09-2006, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Did you install it right?
Did you get all the old gasket off and put on a new one?
Did you tighten the bolts/nuts properly?

Do you know exactly from where the sound is coming?
Set it at idle and listen and FEEL around for the exhaust leak
-- feel around before the engine warms up or feel for the puff
of exhaust gases.

If the noise is that loud and not coming from the
exhaust system, don't worry it. The engine will destroy itself
within minutes anyway.

Artemis wrote:

wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to quiet my riding mower with a 10 hp
Tecumseh engine,It looks like a cheap muffler for what I know about
mufflers,I replaced it with the same model muffler,no change in the
noise,which told me my old muffler was ok,does anyone have any ideas
how I can quiet it.10hp murray riding mower with a Tecumseh engine.12yr
old mower,runs great otherwise.

You are fighting a loosing battle. A lot of the noise comes from the
intake and a lot just from the engine block. I've seen people go to
great trouble to mount auto mufflers to various equipment and it does
not make much difference. If it absolutely must be quieter, look for a
replacement Honda or Kawasaki engine. They are far quieter engines.

Old 21-09-2006, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I don't know if this would work with your application, but I've seen
generators with metal 3/4" or 1" waterpipe (this assumes the exaust
hole in the block is threaded) exaust; a nipple then a T with 2
mufflers screwed into it. Quieted them down quite a bit.

Old 21-09-2006, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eric in North Texas wrote:
I don't know if this would work with your application, but I've seen
generators with metal 3/4" or 1" waterpipe (this assumes the exaust
hole in the block is threaded) exaust; a nipple then a T with 2
mufflers screwed into it. Quieted them down quite a bit.

Good suggestion. But at $35 each (probably more today), I don't want to
just experiment. I didn't realize that the block has NPT in it making
it possible to use ordinary pipes from the hardware store. So maybe
someone on this group knows how to make a real muffler. Or maybe there
is a book around on design. This could be a fun project.

Old 21-09-2006, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Good suggestion. But at $35 each (probably more today), I don't want to
just experiment. I didn't realize that the block has NPT in it making
it possible to use ordinary pipes from the hardware store. So maybe
someone on this group knows how to make a real muffler. Or maybe there
is a book around on design. This could be a fun project.

Shop around a little, or consider used, little guy mower shops often
resemble mower grave yards, lots of good reusable parts, it shouldn't
be rocket science to see if a muffler has lots of life left in it or
not.

Loud chirping is new behaviour john ryan United Kingdom 8 10-05-2011 09:54 PM
Muffler for Tecumseh motor Stubby Lawns 3 22-09-2006 11:56 PM
Loud "spitter" k conover Ponds 6 29-03-2004 04:36 PM
Who is this loud mouthed critter? John Bachman Ponds 6 25-06-2003 12:44 PM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 11:08 PM