Old 23-09-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
L L is offline

Default Moles and ground thumpers

Have been trying to get rid of moles without like (traps will be
next). I know two others who have tried thumpers in the ground they
are not sure if they work or not. Any experienced hands who would part
with words of wisdom.
Thanks in advance
Old 23-09-2006, 04:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

L said:

Have been trying to get rid of moles without like (traps will be
next). I know two others who have tried thumpers in the ground they
are not sure if they work or not. Any experienced hands who would part
with words of wisdom.
Thanks in advance

Treat your lawn for grubs.

--
Eggs

-Half the people you know are below average.
Old 23-09-2006, 05:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

Traps work. You have to learn how to use them.

Old 23-09-2006, 08:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
L L is offline

Pat wrote:

Traps work. You have to learn how to use them.

Any recommendations on traps.
Old 23-09-2006, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

L said:

Pat wrote:

Traps work. You have to learn how to use them.

Any recommendations on traps.

Ya, don't waste your money on them. Sure, you may get a mole with one, but
they'll be back. Take away their main food source, and they'll go
elsewhere. A cure is always better than a bandaid. Treat your lawn for
grubs.

--
Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Old 23-09-2006, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have fought moles in our lawn for 3 falls, and they are back as of about
two weeks ago. I've done internet research, spoken with extension agents,
etc. I have tried grub killers and hose end "mole stop" products with no
success. Everything I've ever read and everything I've ever been told by
the local extension agents is that thumpers, grub killers, fumigation
products, hose end "mole stop" products, and all other non-lethal efforts
simply don't work against moles. My experience confirms some of that
research.

Today I went to the local Northern Tools where I'd seen mole traps. It was
my lucky day and they were making a seasonal inventory change and getting
rid of their mole traps. I picked up two for $2.45 each.

The moles in my Atlanta yard had better watch their furry little butts,
'cause there is a new sheriffs in town...

nk.net...

Old 23-09-2006, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
L L is offline

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I have fought moles in our lawn for 3 falls, and they are back as of about
two weeks ago. I've done internet research, spoken with extension agents,
etc. I have tried grub killers and hose end "mole stop" products with no
success. Everything I've ever read and everything I've ever been told by
the local extension agents is that thumpers, grub killers, fumigation
products, hose end "mole stop" products, and all other non-lethal efforts
simply don't work against moles. My experience confirms some of that
research.

Today I went to the local Northern Tools where I'd seen mole traps. It was
my lucky day and they were making a seasonal inventory change and getting
rid of their mole traps. I picked up two for $2.45 each.

The moles in my Atlanta yard had better watch their furry little butts,
'cause there is a new sheriffs in town...

"L" wrote in message
ink.net...

Have been trying to get rid of moles without like (traps will be next).
I know two others who have tried thumpers in the ground they are not sure
if they work or not. Any experienced hands who would part with words of
wisdom.
Thanks in advance

I am on my why to Northern Tools in Virginia Beach...I am slowly coming
to the opinion that only body count works.
Old 24-09-2006, 01:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

First you need to be sure of your critter. Gophers are vegetarian, moles
eat insects. Moles make a hill shaped like a volcano. A gopher makes a fan
shaped hill with the plugged hole visible on one side. Trapping techniques
are the same for both. Moles are smaller than gophers so a smaller trap is
needed. There are several varieties of traps. I only know the pincher
style as shown here http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp
the first one on the page called the death clutch trap. Dig, following the
tunnel down until you find the main runway. Then you will have two holes
running in two directions. Since there is no way of knowing which one has
the gopher two traps will be needed. If you don't catch one in a few days
pick a new location with fresh mounds and try again. I try to keep my scent
off the business end. If the trap is sprung reset. Try not to miss much.
The critters can learn to be trap shy. Fasten the trap to a stake so it
can't be lost down the hole, Moles move into your yard regularly from your
neighbors. Keep an eye open for fresh mounds. Best to trap them quickly.
I trap one or two a year. Usually in the spring sometimes in the fall.
Digging up the main runway makes a mess. I fill it in and the grass hides
it shortly. I dislike the thought of poisoning my ground on a regular
basis. With bait you never know if you are successful. A trap shows your
results immediately. Poison can be expensive. Traps work year after year
with no cost other than their initial purchase. I bought my traps from a
farm supply store. Two traps came in the box for about $17.

Old 24-09-2006, 07:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
L L is offline

L wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I have fought moles in our lawn for 3 falls, and they are back as of
about two weeks ago. I've done internet research, spoken with
extension agents, etc. I have tried grub killers and hose end "mole
stop" products with no success. Everything I've ever read and
everything I've ever been told by the local extension agents is that
thumpers, grub killers, fumigation products, hose end "mole stop"
products, and all other non-lethal efforts simply don't work against
moles. My experience confirms some of that research.

Today I went to the local Northern Tools where I'd seen mole traps.
It was my lucky day and they were making a seasonal inventory change
and getting rid of their mole traps. I picked up two for $2.45 each.

The moles in my Atlanta yard had better watch their furry little
butts, 'cause there is a new sheriffs in town...

"L" wrote in message
nk.net...

Have been trying to get rid of moles without like (traps will be
next). I know two others who have tried thumpers in the ground they
are not sure if they work or not. Any experienced hands who would
part with words of wisdom.
Thanks in advance

I am on my why to Northern Tools in Virginia Beach...I am slowly
coming to the opinion that only body count works.

Here no mole traps but other in this string provided good web site for
mole traps. Still not sure which is better ??.
Old 25-09-2006, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

You might look here http://www.molepro.com/products/trap_comparison.htm#1

Old 25-09-2006, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

This site describes how to use a scissors trap
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74115.html
I use a pincer style that is the same as a gopher trap only smaller. Its
what I know.

Old 26-09-2006, 01:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

this is my 4th year seriously trapping moles. the scizzor trap and the
nash trap are more consistent catchers than the spike trap, but if you
dont have the killer ,hunting instinct, forget it. killing grubs didnt
work for me.

Ground moles Jimmy Edible Gardening 16 22-05-2006 01:00 AM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 03:12 AM
Mulching or Multiclip Mowers - and now Moles ned United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:20 AM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of life Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 5 17-05-2003 01:56 AM
grubs, moles, and now dogs.. how to deal w/ lawn's circle of Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:44 PM