GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overseeding before snowing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/150022-overseeding-before-snowing.html)

John61 01-10-2006 04:51 PM

Overseeding before snowing

Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it
right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate
early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

Tom The Great 01-10-2006 07:18 PM

Overseeding before snowing

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 09:51:06 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it
right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate
early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

I thougtht the same thing, but further south here in Pennsylvania. In
hind sight I've seen this, I seed early, snow on the ground, we get a
few days warm weather, seeds sprout, then a blizzard hits, sprouts
die.

I now generally seed in the fall, and several weeks before I use
crabgrass preventor.

just my observations,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Venus[_1_] 01-10-2006 07:47 PM

Overseeding before snowing

I was disappointed with the seeds I bought that they claimed is the best on
the market. The seeds contain weeds, and they didn't grow as fast as I
expected. I did this after winter, and yet I didn't see any thing
progressing.

So if you want to seed now before winter? I supposed it won't make any
difference because seeds grow so slowly. It could be my ground too, it's
too hard maybe.

Steveo 02-10-2006 02:00 AM

"John61" wrote:
Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it
right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate
early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

Hi John.

You can do that if you delay your pre-emergent crabgrass control until May
and you use Dimension. That will give your seedlings more establishment
time next spring.

Steveo 02-10-2006 02:19 AM

Overseeding before snowing

"Venus" wrote:
The seeds contain weeds

Usually in very minute amounts if you're careful where you purchase your
seed.

[email protected] 02-10-2006 12:20 PM

wrote:

Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it
right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate
early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

I thougtht the same thing, but further south here in Pennsylvania. In
hind sight I've seen this, I seed early, snow on the ground, we get a
few days warm weather, seeds sprout, then a blizzard hits, sprouts
die.

I now generally seed in the fall, and several weeks before I use
crabgrass preventor.

If you put down the common pre-emergent crabgrass control products
several weeks before seeding, it will not only prevent crabgrass from
germinating, but the grass seed too. You can use Tupersan, but it's
expensive and why would you when seeding in Fall? At that point,
crabgrass, which needs warm temps to germinate is not a problem.

just my observations,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

MANIC_D 05-10-2006 12:08 AM

Overseeding before snowing

let oit go to seed
MANIC_D wrote:Overseeding won`t hurt, generally the cut-off date for
seeding is Oct. 21st. Make sure you scrath it in well and soak it at
least twice a week. You`ll be fine. P.S.- if this is a quality grass,
let it go to seed before mowing.

Sir Topham Hatt 13-10-2006 10:22 PM

Overseeding before snowing

Not a bad idea if :

1) You overssed before the ground freezes
2) Make sure there is good seed to soil contact

To maintain the good seed to soil contact, this method of overseeding is
usually recd. for areas that have a winter snow cover.